News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Is there a master plan for Centre Street with the Green Line yet? I'm cool with no bikes on that street, there are already a lot of different modes accommodated for there.
I don't know, but I remember hearing that a cycle path wasn't part of it. I'm okay with it also, as you could really do 4th street and that would get you a long straight bike lane to downtown, and would be so much cheaper and less complicated.

I don't mind 2 ST as is either - but gotta say 2/3s of my close calls with cars have all been on this route. I think because it's not a busy street, drivers get a little careless. Which is unfortunate, I see a lot of families with kids biking here. In general though, the "Street Friendly" routes could use better signage &or fresh paint. I feel like the Nose Creek Pathway needs better connections to the neighbourhoods it passes. A bridge over the creek at 32 Ave would be a good start... But that issue lies with the elevation difference, so admittedly not much to do there. Also, I personally find most of Multi-Use Pathways not great for cycling - to get somewhere fast - but more for leisure.

My idea for a North Central Cycling network would be:

Cycle Track:
4 ST NW, from the bluff to 72 Ave, where it would that transfer to Centre street, along with the Greenline, under Beddington Tr, through The Hills, and possibly over Stoney to the new communities there.
20 Ave, from Banff Trail (including a LRT crossing) to Nose Creek (some houses in the way though)
24 Ave, Children's Hospital to Confederation Park (maybe some sort of link to 20 Ave to avoid redundancy)
Some sort of continuation of the Edmonton Trail track - just not sure how... Seems so useless in it's current set up.

Painted Lanes:
40 Ave, from Edm Tr to Northmount.
Northmount for it's entire length
12 Ave, from SAIT through Renfrew
6 ST NE, from that new creek crossing at 32 Ave to 8 Ave (already with painted lanes, but extended to Rotary Park)
19 ST, from the MUP at John Laurie to Bow River (and new river crossing)
Charleswood/32 Ave - why are do many streets with painted lanes abruptly end??

Street Friendly/Designated Routes (not sure what they're called?)
Most of these would stay as is, but would add another N-S route East of Centre, probably 1 ST.
24 or 29 Ave, East of Confed, to 6 ST NE

Multi-Use Pathway
64 Ave, from Nose Hill to Deerfoot City.
Highland Park - as a continuation of Confed MUP

I think this would fill in most of the gaps. Probably missed a few, but just noticing these missing links as I get out more and around on my bike. But yeah, just a crazy fantasy.. Could move this to the fantasy thread or the cycling one lol.

Well, we have been quite spoiled with the general quality of developments in this city over the last 20 or so years, most of the areas in the inner city especially are far better than they were before then. Chinatown sadly is the exception, everything that has been built there is total garbage...

Well, we have been quite spoiled with the general quality of developments in this city over the last 20 or so years, most of the areas in the inner city especially are far better than they were before then. Chinatown sadly is the exception, everything that has been built there is total garbage...

I'd respectively disagree.

I thought this infill was kind of cool:

Kind of has a Cyberpunk feel to it.

I don't mind 2 ST as is either - but gotta say 2/3s of my close calls with cars have all been on this route. I think because it's not a busy street, drivers get a little careless. Which is unfortunate, I see a lot of families with kids biking here. In general though, the "Street Friendly" routes could use better signage &or fresh paint. I feel like the Nose Creek Pathway needs better connections to the neighbourhoods it passes. A bridge over the creek at 32 Ave would be a good start... But that issue lies with the elevation difference, so admittedly not much to do there. Also, I personally find most of Multi-Use Pathways not great for cycling - to get somewhere fast - but more for leisure.

My idea for a North Central Cycling network would be:

Cycle Track:
4 ST NW, from the bluff to 72 Ave, where it would that transfer to Centre street, along with the Greenline, under Beddington Tr, through The Hills, and possibly over Stoney to the new communities there.
20 Ave, from Banff Trail (including a LRT crossing) to Nose Creek (some houses in the way though)
24 Ave, Children's Hospital to Confederation Park (maybe some sort of link to 20 Ave to avoid redundancy)
Some sort of continuation of the Edmonton Trail track - just not sure how... Seems so useless in it's current set up.

Painted Lanes:
40 Ave, from Edm Tr to Northmount.
Northmount for it's entire length
12 Ave, from SAIT through Renfrew
6 ST NE, from that new creek crossing at 32 Ave to 8 Ave (already with painted lanes, but extended to Rotary Park)
19 ST, from the MUP at John Laurie to Bow River (and new river crossing)
Charleswood/32 Ave - why are do many streets with painted lanes abruptly end??

Street Friendly/Designated Routes (not sure what they're called?)
Most of these would stay as is, but would add another N-S route East of Centre, probably 1 ST.
24 or 29 Ave, East of Confed, to 6 ST NE

Multi-Use Pathway
64 Ave, from Nose Hill to Deerfoot City.
Highland Park - as a continuation of Confed MUP

I think this would fill in most of the gaps. Probably missed a few, but just noticing these missing links as I get out more and around on my bike. But yeah, justice a crazy fantasy.. Could move this to the fantasy thread or the cycling one lol.
Also the roundabouts on 2nd are a bit awkward when cars approach at the same time. That and because there are perfect cars along second street if two cars are coming at the same time and passing near parked cars it makes it difficult for the cyclist. Couple years back I got my bike clipped by a mirror when trying to pass a parked car at the same time two cars were trying to pass at the same time. Second would be good if it was a protected cycle track.
Still I guess right now it beats 4th without a bike lane or Cycle track. I really like the idea of a cycle track/ bike lane down fourth all the way from 72nd to the bluff. It’s a nice street road, and has some businesses along the way.

New basketball court at EV
65281637_451789358887486_4690084896444687086_n.jpg

I got the opportunity to drive by their last weekend and I was quite amazed. There were lots of people playing and hanging out there. Hands down the best thing Calgary downtown did in a while. I got NYC/Toronto vibes from it, we should definitely build a few more basketball courts in the area. Great to see the sport growing more in Canada. Maybe in a few decades we can get our own NBA team, I know the commissioner of the NBA wants to eventually expand back to Vancouver so you never know.

Last edited:
I'd respectively disagree.

I thought this infill was kind of cool:

Kind of has a Cyberpunk feel to it.
Haha
That building is HIDEOUS!!!
I love that POS it is skinny, mid block, and retained a church :)

Back