News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Art installation returning to Calgary, this time to EV

186FB21B-42C5-4104-98B1-36DE2C77ABF4.png

Awesome I love that one :)

Random question - what is the history of the empty parcel of land between Bow and Shaganappi Point Golf Course? 26St on the North and 24St on the south? Went running by it today and saw the no trespassing signs and am intrigued.

Thanks!
There used to be a bunch of separate homes for seniors. My great grandma and great great grandma both lived there. I think they were all torn down only a few years ago. Anyone know of any plans for this area?

A bunch of proposals we haven't heard much about were at the Banff Trail Area Improvements Open House, specifically on 24th Avenue NW. Came across it through twitter on a local council rep feed (follow for pictures):

Lots of good designs and a healthy boost in a multi-family scare area. It's a no brainier for intensification given inner city grid pattern, LRT acces and University of Calgary right there. Hopefully these proposals come to fruition in the future.

Wow! All of these have retail units proposed along 24 Ave. It would be great if this stretch can become an urban village with housing and amenities to support the University community.

There's a plan to eventually grade separate 24 Ave from Crowchild. Hopefully that will make the crossing easier rather than harder for pedestrians and cyclists (could go either way IMO).

It would be nice to have 24th as a high street type corridor that rolls right into UofC
Wow! All of these have retail units proposed along 24 Ave. It would be great if this stretch can become an urban village with housing and amenities to support the University community.

There's a plan to eventually grade separate 24 Ave from Crowchild. Hopefully that will make the crossing easier rather than harder for pedestrians and cyclists (could go either way IMO).

I love these types of developments. They fit the neighborhood perfectly. I wish we had 100 more of these throughout our inner city.
Agree completely. I hope this becomes a fairly standard form of new, high-street development - a 21st century version of the brick-and-mortar classic high street in the pre-automobile era that was propagated everywhere.

Most interestingly, all these together are an effort to create a high street where one does not exist today on 24th Ave NW. Even Marda Loop has a bit of a node and retail precedent to build from. 24th Ave NW benefits from arguably even better location advantages than Marda Loop. Walking distance to U of C and the LRT will ensure this location is always relevant and attractive. It's still a ways away, but perhaps the era of zero pedestrian-oriented retail streets north of Hillhurst-Sunnyside will come to the end in this city sooner than I would have thought.

I saw one of Dale Calkin's tweets earlier (can't find it now) that mentioned Druh was pushing hard for a cycle lane or cycle track along 24th ave from Crowchild to 14th. I think it would be nice to have as 24th ave & 14th street intersection connects into into the Confederation park pathways. A good way to get from the UofC over to Mount Pleasant/Highland Park area.

Back