News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I can't remember what this one was called, or if we had a thread for it, so I am putting it in this thread. The mixed-use project in Richmond, just west of Crowchild, has it's land use going to CPC next week.

The DP engagement summary can be found here:

Same pics from Dale's twitter, but enlarged a bit. These would be fantastic for the Banff Trail area. Looks like they are only conceptual right now, but the form and scale is really good.

View attachment 190349View attachment 190350View attachment 190351View attachment 190352
There is one more along 24th Avenue that doesn't appear to be represented here. It is a Seniors housing project by Abanoub Developments, located at 2436 and 2440 22nd Street NW:

I saw one of Dale Calkin's tweets earlier (can't find it now) that mentioned Druh was pushing hard for a cycle lane or cycle track along 24th ave from Crowchild to 14th. I think it would be nice to have as 24th ave & 14th street intersection connects into into the Confederation park pathways. A good way to get from the UofC over to Mount Pleasant/Highland Park area.
Starting at the west end of confed you can go get all the way to James Fowler High school through the park and cemetery. It's too bad there wasn't a good connection through to the old Highland park golf course, as there is continuous green space all the way through to Nose Creek.

I saw one of Dale Calkin's tweets earlier (can't find it now) that mentioned Druh was pushing hard for a cycle lane or cycle track along 24th ave from Crowchild to 14th. I think it would be nice to have as 24th ave & 14th street intersection connects into into the Confederation park pathways. A good way to get from the UofC over to Mount Pleasant/Highland Park area.
Lack of high quality access to the U of C by foot or bike is a huge gap in our city - glad to see this attempt to be address the gap (along with lack of density in the same area). This fits into the larger - and never talked about seriously by the public, media or politicians - is our huge gap in supporting young adult and student culture compared to our Canadian city competitors. Density and active mode infrastructure is such a no brainer to support the area's role, which is likely to become increasingly specialized as a student/university focused one - assuming we let it.

Starting at the west end of confed you can go get all the way to James Fowler High school through the park and cemetery. It's too bad there wasn't a good connection through to the old Highland park golf course, as there is continuous green space all the way through to Nose Creek.

I live in this area, and perhaps that makes me biased, but I also think that 4 ST NW would be a good candidate for cycle track. From Beddington, all the way to McHugh Bluff - in addition to extending Northmount's painted lanes all the way to Centre ST, with Confed Park and a potential 24 Ave, that would create a really robust cycle network in the Inner City North.

I live in this area, and perhaps that makes me biased, but I also think that 4 ST NW would be a good candidate for cycle track. From Beddington, all the way to McHugh Bluff - in addition to extending Northmount's painted lanes all the way to Centre ST, with Confed Park and a potential 24 Ave, that would create a really robust cycle network in the Inner City North.
Not biased at all, I think that would be great. One nice thing about 4th is it is a nice straight artery. When I was growing up in Thorncliffe, I used to take 4th as my bike route to get to downtown. It's not terribly busy, and traffic could survive having a cycle track.

^ Exactly my thought. It's 4 lanes for most of it's length, and hardly busy. I personally use 2 ST right now, as it's the designated route and I'm on 1 ST. But I always see commuter cyclists on 4 ST - even North of McKnight - and wish better for them haha

Yeah, I prefer the 2nd street bikeway. There's hardly any auto traffic and the streets are nice for biking.

Yeah, I prefer the 2nd street bikeway. There's hardly any auto traffic and the streets are nice for biking.
Second street would also be great. Only downside is that it doesn't work north of 40th ave. 4th street could in theory carry on all the way to Beddington (via connecting to Centre at 72nd.) I suppose if a cycle lane is added to the green Line north section, that would also work well, but would be as nice as 4th or 2nd..

Makes me wonder if the city is making a mistake by not including a cycle track for centre street in conjunction with the green line. I know the logistics of it aren't easy, but it would be nice to have one on centre street. Geographically it's a great location. I suppose 4th is just as good at attracting cyclists from the west, and those east of Centre could use the Nose Creek path.

Makes me wonder if the city is making a mistake by not including a cycle track for centre street in conjunction with the green line. I know the logistics of it aren't easy, but it would be nice to have one on centre street. Geographically it's a great location. I suppose 4th is just as good at attracting cyclists from the west, and those east of Centre could use the Nose Creek path.
It would be nice all things being equal, but I don't see how they'd be able to incorporate it.

It would be nice all things being equal, but I don't see how they'd be able to incorporate it.
Yeah, I'd love it, but the space concerns would be a problem. If you were to keep it underground up to McKnight, you could make it 3 lanes plus a cycle track. I think that could work. That being said, is it worth a billion bucks to get a cycle track?

Is there a master plan for Centre Street with the Green Line yet? I'm cool with no bikes on that street, there are already a lot of different modes accommodated for there.

Back