News   Sep 20, 2019
 275     0 
News   Sep 19, 2019
 225     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Colinfill

Member Bio
Reaction score
So it looks like Zeidler has applied for a new tower in the Beltline, in the NE corner of 8th Street and 13th Avenue:

This site was purchased by GWL a couple of years ago, and I thought I saw something somewhere that indicated 25 stories or so. Only thing I could find tonight is from their Q4 2018 bulletin, which states they also bought the office building directly south of this site, in anticipation of a 2nd phase:

No renderings. I noticed that some of the new DP advertising signs around town now have images of the development up, so maybe one will appear on this site.
That's awesome! This will really help push 8th street into a high street after all the development that's been going on along that stretch. Was really impressed by how 8th street is looking and the amount of pedestrians walking along when viewing it from the new Canadian Tire. Gives you some of the big-city feels.

Would really love it if we could one day develop the Safeway parking lot.

Surrealplaces

Member Bio
Reaction score
The general ideas are good. widen some of the pedestrian areas and make the corridor uniform. One of the biggest annoyances with 8th street is the sidewalks are different widths. It mentions and 8th street cycle lane also.
Here's the existing plan, has some good ideas, it is dated from 2016.

kora

Member Bio
Reaction score
So it looks like Zeidler has applied for a new tower in the Beltline, in the NE corner of 8th Street and 13th Avenue:

This site was purchased by GWL a couple of years ago, and I thought I saw something somewhere that indicated 25 stories or so. Only thing I could find tonight is from their Q4 2018 bulletin, which states they also bought the office building directly south of this site, in anticipation of a 2nd phase:

No renderings. I noticed that some of the new DP advertising signs around town now have images of the development up, so maybe one will appear on this site.
DP2019-3135
26 storeys (83 metres)
230 units

Chowda7

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's buried in the article but sounds like Aspen Properties has purchased Sun Life Plaza and are planning to redevelop similar to The Edison

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's buried in the article but sounds like Aspen Properties has purchased Sun Life Plaza and are planning to redevelop similar to The Edison

Awesome! this is exactly what should be happening to older buildings in the core.

Silence&Motion

Member Bio
Reaction score

Sun Life Plaza is one of my most hated buildings in downtown. I mean, look at the NW corner! Hopefully there is some major improvements made at the ground level.

Surrealplaces

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sun Life Plaza is one of my most hated buildings in downtown. I mean, look at the NW corner! Hopefully there is some major improvements made at the ground level.
I'm down with the hate. Not only boring ugly buildings, but instead of going wit twins like usual, they went with triplets!

gsunnyg

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some significant density proposed in Saddle Ridge, off of 52nd Street NE is going to CPC next week.
Report: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=97721
DP Drawings: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=97722
View attachment 192183
Thats awesome. Ive spent a lot of my years in that area. Taradale, Saddleridge, and Martindale have to be easily the most vibrant suburban communities in Calgary although Seton and newer communities will eventually overtake them.