News   Oct 18, 2019
 56     0 
News   Oct 17, 2019
 236     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Here's the Anthem Currie image file itself. Looks pretty dang good, thankfully.

But great f*ck, who designed those other towers for Currie Barracks? What is going on with design in this city lately? Did we hit a bizarro timewarp and become 2001 Edmonton somehow?

Calgcouver

Member Bio
Reaction score
Here's the Anthem Currie image file itself. Looks pretty dang good, thankfully.

But great f*ck, who designed those other towers for Currie Barracks? What is going on with design in this city lately? Did we hit a bizarro timewarp and become 2001 Edmonton somehow?
The Anthem one looks simple and decent. The other one on the other hand is unacceptable. The materials and design are bad, the site design in worse. Front surface parking and vehicle drop off spots as the main features of the entrance? Not sure this is the type of streetscape anyone envisioned for Currie Barracks. I get that it is seniors housing primarily, but this had better get absolutely picked apart at UDRP, and I hope the Currie Barracks community NIMBYs push hard for a better design.

Last edited:

Surrealplaces

Member Bio
Reaction score
This one is decent. Good addition to the area.
And it looks like Anthem United has a condo project planned along the south side of Currie Barracks, next to Mount Royal University. 8 buildings according to the DP description:
View attachment 192795

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some stuff proposed for Currie Barracks, let's hope it gets off the ground as so far the single family homes that have been built aren't matching the overall vision that was promoted about 5 years ago.
This is a Statesman project. The Davenport building is already underway or has been selling for awhile now.

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
No, it is a three tower residential project in Quarry Park, located to the south of the market. Here is the DP:
I don't see this on either Calgary Co-op or Quarry Bay Investments' website so it could be something independent of either one of these. It might be more residential from Remington who is behind the Quarry Park Development

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
A hotel was proposed for that site a few years back. It was a saw fencing going up around the site when I was in Calgary a month ago.

Also saw a development notice for the parcel along 18th next to the QP Child Care Center.
I don't see this on either Calgary Co-op or Quarry Bay Investments' website so it could be something independent of either one of these. It might be more residential from Remington who is behind the Quarry Park Development
There will still be room for a future hotel, in the NW portion of the parcel. This project has nothing to do with co-op / Quarry Bay. It is a Remington project.

Atticus

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Currie Barracks project is not terribly nice is it. The one by Anthem looks good, and should be the bar for other developments in the area.

I'm a silver lining type of guy...on a positive note, it will add good density that will benefit Marda Loop which has been on a roll lately. I don't know how Currie Barracks as a whole will turn out, but more density there will benefit Marda loop, an area with good bones, and going in the right direction.