Votes: 20 44.4%
  • So So

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mostly it's the glass that looks cheap (clearly window wall, not a proper curtain wall), the podium looks decent with the stone, but I need to see it without all the hoarding. The very boxy shape of the towers doesn't help out either.

Everyone uses window wall now. Gone are the days of Arriva, Nuera, etc. Concord is even a hybrid window wall system. The podium looks like precast concrete. How does this stack up to The Royal, Parkside and, Ink?

I like the orange accents on the Marriott, I didn't like them in the rendering, but in real life they look sharp, particular on a sunny day with blue sky. 6th and 10th looks totally boss from the south on a sunny day also. That angle of the pic by Urban Warrior showing the three towers looks good every time I see those buildings. The towers have given some good depth to that part of the Beltline.

Everyone uses window wall now. Gone are the days of Arriva, Nuera, etc. Concord is even a hybrid window wall system. The podium looks like precast concrete. How does this stack up to The Royal, Parkside and, Ink?

Yes, a friend's company designed the podium cladding. It is precast alright.

Some quality developers use a curtain wall system still, but window wall is cheaper so most go that way. Window wall is fine as long as the installer is on their game, lots of membrane tie-ins that can leak. Anyway, I think these look cheap still, was looking at them and 6th and tenth this morning, and the latter looks much nicer to me. Much better than what was there previously though, no question about that.

The spandrel being close to the glass colour on the apartment tower is a good choice, and glad the mullions aren't that silver/grey you see on a lot of projects that just make a building look like Ikea furniture/disjointed mess. Have to say the podium on this thing is pretty bad, looks like it is made of recycled tires and it has nothing very interesting or redeeming about it. Maybe it will look better as a finished product.

I think the views from that tower might be the best in the downtown. It's kind of right in the middle of everything.

15233177145043636699169179062069.jpg

Attachments

• 15233177145043636699169179062069.jpg
    15233177145043636699169179062069.jpg
    792.1 KB · Views: 705
April 9, 2018

95438051-6D40-4CC1-9FF7-575EE5EB6468.jpeg

F36A9A35-F276-49F9-88CD-1565B050DE6B.jpeg

Attachments

• 95438051-6D40-4CC1-9FF7-575EE5EB6468.jpeg
    95438051-6D40-4CC1-9FF7-575EE5EB6468.jpeg
    914.7 KB · Views: 770
  • F36A9A35-F276-49F9-88CD-1565B050DE6B.jpeg
    F36A9A35-F276-49F9-88CD-1565B050DE6B.jpeg
    867.7 KB · Views: 745
What time were your pictures taken at warrior? I was up in the top of the hotel tower working today. If you look up above the shorter roof where there are several openings blocked off from inside, 3rd row down from the top between the white and orange. We had to set up a bunch of cardboard to block the openings last Friday when it was so cold out! Used the boxes from the condensers we are installing for the elevator control rooms. My coworkers truck is seen in the bottom corner of the top picture and my van may have been parked in front of him up until about 11:00.

What time were your pictures taken at warrior? I was up in the top of the hotel tower working today. If you look up above the shorter roof where there are several openings blocked off from inside, 3rd row down from the top between the white and orange. We had to set up a bunch of cardboard to block the openings last Friday when it was so cold out! Used the boxes from the condensers we are installing for the elevator control rooms. My coworkers truck is seen in the bottom corner of the top picture and my van may have been parked in front of him up until about 11:00.

Oh haha that's awesome. It was around 12:30 pm I think.

Hi All,

This Projects on the Belt Line is Starting to look really nice. I will B Interested to see how Other Projects go once they get started.

Tnx,
Ooperater,

Some quality developers use a curtain wall system still, but window wall is cheaper so most go that way. Window wall is fine as long as the installer is on their game, lots of membrane tie-ins that can leak. Anyway, I think these look cheap still, was looking at them and 6th and tenth this morning, and the latter looks much nicer to me. Much better than what was there previously though, no question about that.

This is a project feasibility issue. Most inner city, concrete residential projects are valued at $600-700 PSF upon completion. Curtain wall is not a viable option anymore at these valuations. You see it sometimes in the commercial podiums of these projects, but that's it. In Calgary, luxury condo projects like The Concord, that sell for $1,200 PSF, are the only ones that can justify the cost of curtain wall.

I disagree that 6th & 10th looks better. The black metal panels are already oil canning. This project is not going to age well.

Back