News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

8th Avenue SE in Inglewood may be a bit different re: speed. I stopped counting years ago how many vehicles speed while use it as a detour from 9th Avenue. I stopped counting the numbers of near misses and collisions at 8th Avenue SE and 15th street SE. A family member is with the CPS and dropped by for a quick hello, and we watched maybe 15 vehicles not stop at the stop sign at that intersection. I pointed out that pedestrians, (families with kids in tow) cross 8th avenue at that intersection to get to the daycare in ID Inglewood, and to Colonel Walker. Don't get me wrong, I think these changes will help, but I think one or two of the locations with the new bump outs along 8th Avenue, are a bit problematic.

Can anyone tell me about the Bow to Bluff park? I know its been on the table for a while but is there a reason there hasn't been any movement? It seems like flyover park in bridgeland is a pretty comparable project and is already well underway

Can anyone tell me about the Bow to Bluff park? I know its been on the table for a while but is there a reason there hasn't been any movement? It seems like flyover park in bridgeland is a pretty comparable project and is already well underway
I think part of the problem was the funding was there, and then a recession hit and things got jiggled around. I believe funding is secured again and hopefully things start to move forward, the flood mitigation work may be tied into it too.

More on High Park from the website:

"The first phase of HIGH PARK is a temporary installation that will be open until mid-2021.
During this time, we will be asking for your feedback that will be used to guide the future of this and other unconventional park spaces in the Beltline."

Thats a great use of the space, used to take photos on that parking garage all the time and I rarely saw cars up there. Hopefully it'll get utilized somewhat before the snow rolls in.

It'd be nice if they did something different with the space, canals would be nice. They could be utilized for skating or maybe pond hockey in the winter with a nice street level promenade or something. But nothing will be done with that space until the city decides to clean up the creosote that leaked into the ground.

The cleanup will have to be split between the city, province and feds I'm sure. Domtar owns the company that did all the creosote I believe, but I'm sure there is some statute that protects them from liability and the massive costs of cleanup.

Could the creosote be a case where the ground becomes usable after a certain period of time - such as gas stations, which I believe is 15-20 years.

The cleanup will have to be split between the city, province and feds I'm sure. Domtar owns the company that did all the creosote I believe, but I'm sure there is some statute that protects them from liability and the massive costs of cleanup.
There is definitely no such statute. I think a lot of environmental lawyers are surprised the government hasn't taken legal action yet.

It'd be nice if they did something different with the space, canals would be nice. They could be utilized for skating or maybe pond hockey in the winter with a nice street level promenade or something. But nothing will be done with that space until the city decides to clean up the creosote that leaked into the ground.

Canals would be tough without building a weir on the Bow

Back