2.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 962     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Duck Lightning

Member Bio
Reaction score
More on High Park from the website:

"The first phase of HIGH PARK is a temporary installation that will be open until mid-2021.
During this time, we will be asking for your feedback that will be used to guide the future of this and other unconventional park spaces in the Beltline."

people.talking

Member Bio
Reaction score
It'd be nice if they did something different with the space, canals would be nice. They could be utilized for skating or maybe pond hockey in the winter with a nice street level promenade or something. But nothing will be done with that space until the city decides to clean up the creosote that leaked into the ground.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
The cleanup will have to be split between the city, province and feds I'm sure. Domtar owns the company that did all the creosote I believe, but I'm sure there is some statute that protects them from liability and the massive costs of cleanup.

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Could the creosote be a case where the ground becomes usable after a certain period of time - such as gas stations, which I believe is 15-20 years.

Disraeli

Member Bio
Reaction score
The cleanup will have to be split between the city, province and feds I'm sure. Domtar owns the company that did all the creosote I believe, but I'm sure there is some statute that protects them from liability and the massive costs of cleanup.
There is definitely no such statute. I think a lot of environmental lawyers are surprised the government hasn't taken legal action yet.

DougB

Member Bio
Reaction score
It'd be nice if they did something different with the space, canals would be nice. They could be utilized for skating or maybe pond hockey in the winter with a nice street level promenade or something. But nothing will be done with that space until the city decides to clean up the creosote that leaked into the ground.
Canals would be tough without building a weir on the Bow

DougB

Member Bio
Reaction score
There is definitely no such statute. I think a lot of environmental lawyers are surprised the government hasn't taken legal action yet.
If I recall correctly, going after Domtar may not be worth the cost as it has no assets in Alberta. A judgement from an Alberta court would be difficult to enforce in Quebec.

Always questioned why the City uses that site as a snow dump. Not only would the runoff end up in the river, wouldn’t ground seepage potentially worsen spread of the contamination? The other snow dump by the northern approach of the Calf Rope bridge at least sets back from the river. I would have thought snow dumps would drain into settling ponds and undergo treatment.

Disraeli

Member Bio
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, going after Domtar may not be worth the cost as it has no assets in Alberta. A judgement from an Alberta court would be difficult to enforce in Quebec.
Provinces have legislation which allows courts to enforce judgements from other provinces