News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 854     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
A friend rents in those condos. She hasn’t slept in a year. She is looking to move as soon as she can find a house. It is a brutal place to live.
If living beside the tracks was so painful, then those condos would be empty. Are they?

Ubran Outdoorsman

Member Bio
Reaction score
I like the idea. However my only concern is that other major 'midtown' type developments are already in the works for Calgary and yet seem not to be going anywhere. Currie and Westbrook being two prime examples. Not to mention U/D which is well underway. I guess my concern would be around whether there's really much of a market for it? Maybe in 30 years when some of these others have hopefully been completed.

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
Westbrook
That has its own problems. The main one is that the developer bought the land as already upzoned in a competitive bid situation from the city, which squeezes the margin enough to kill projects.

2nd best (vickery) auctions might be a better process for the city since it stops the developers from paying too much if they have irrational exuberance about the site and really 'need' to get the land.

Dārayavauš

Member Bio
Reaction score
That's one ambitious looking concept. I'd like if it began a block north and was tied into Chinook Centre.
I agree. However I think there is already a plan to develop that area with condos. I think an excellent inspiration for that lot east of Chinook would be the Park Royal redevelopment which occurred in West Vancouver in the last decade. It could be an urban village that will tie together nicely with Midtown Station.

Dārayavauš

Member Bio
Reaction score
I like the idea. However my only concern is that other major 'midtown' type developments are already in the works for Calgary and yet seem not to be going anywhere. Currie and Westbrook being two prime examples. Not to mention U/D which is well underway. I guess my concern would be around whether there's really much of a market for it? Maybe in 30 years when some of these others have hopefully been completed.
This area is ready for development though. I can see it progressing very nicely once they get started.

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
I just stumbled across the Midtown Station development plan and answered the survey.

I’ve never heard of it before, does any one on here know any more about it? I personally think this is a brilliant plan and I hope they build it soon!

WOW! Thanks for posting that.

DougB

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a far superior location to Currie or Westbrook though.
At the intersection of 2 busy roads, surrounded on 3 sides by warehouse development, and nowhere near a major park? It might be a good location for office development, if Calgary ever sees that again, but it would be a poor place to live.

Stephen Ave

Member Bio
Reaction score
At the intersection of 2 busy roads, surrounded on 3 sides by warehouse development, and nowhere near a major park? It might be a good location for office development, if Calgary ever sees that again, but it would be a poor place to live.
It depends on your situation. Personally I would prefer Westbrook or Currie, but I can see why this would appeal to some. If you’re a couple where one person works downtown and one person works in a suburban location this works very well. Also the shopping and retail options are better than Westbrook or Currie.