News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Two renders of the SAM Centre located within the Youth Campus at Stampede park. Construction is expected to start in 2021 and be complete by 2023.
calgary_stampede_200918-main-entrance-se_rendering_diamond-schmitt-architects-1602016409.jpg
calgary_stampede_200918-13th-ave-to-entrance_rendering_diamond-schmitt-architects-1602017204.jpg

Two renders of the SAM Centre located within the Youth Campus at Stampede park. Construction is expected to start in 2021 and be complete by 2023.
View attachment 274864View attachment 274865

Why can't I find what "SAM" stands for anywhere...

Why can't I find what "SAM" stands for anywhere...

Don Taylor, Calgary entrepreneur and philanthropist, is donating $15 million to the Calgary Stampede Foundation to create the SAM Centre, a western interpretive centre that transforms the traditional museum setting into a story-based educational experience that will be a central piece to the future Youth Campus on Stampede Park. The SAM Centre is named for Taylor’s father, Robert Samuel Taylor.

http://news.calgarystampede.com/rel...gift-connects-community-with-western-heritage

Isn’t the question whether the liability follows through bankruptcies and restructuring and such? I know the recent case moved environmental liabilities up the claim precedence list, but unless the liability was listed at some point during one of the restructuring processes at some point the liability has to no longer exist. I bet all of Domtar’s similar ‘liabilities’ that former parts of it created all over North America add up to way more than the ~$2 billion the company is worth today.
I imagine those are definitely potential issues. Assumption of liabilities mainly hinges on the facts of the transaction. If it is a merger or acquisition the purchasing or new company typically assumes the liabilities. If a company simply bought assets, current law says that companies do not assume the seller's liabilities. However, the law in Canada is not 100 percent settled on the latter and no appellate level courts have decided on the successor liability issue yet that i'm aware of which makes it a prime issue to go up to the SCC. But we don't know the exact details of how Domtar came to be associated with the site so we can only speculate on what is at play

I highly doubt that after all these years, the City would be successful in getting a judgement against Domtar who inherited the problem from the previous company. If they thought they could, they would have tried by now. Why wait??
This is a guess, but one thing that comes to mind is that the province doesn't want to, not because they don't have a strong legal case, but because a court decision that has the potential of expanding corporate liability could work to discourage the purchase and trade of O&G assets. And i don't think that's what the province wants

A random note in the article but there is a virtual open house for the Stephen Avenue concept plan on October 20

View attachment 274864View attachment 274865

Pizza Hut? or Salisbury House? 🤔

Back