News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 1K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

ByeByeBaby

Member Bio
Reaction score
It is more important to broadcast how much fun you are having in the cool new space, than to actually have the fun in the cool new space.
I think that taking a picture for your social media is the main source of fun you can have in this cool new space. I haven't yet been, but as near as I can tell from all photos of the park, you get a somewhat different view (and can be photographed in front of it), and there's some signs pretty clearly designed as instagram backdrops and beyond that... there's some picnic tables. Wheeee.

It's not like they're standing in front of a skate ramp or a climbing wall or artwork or a basketball court and ignoring the rec opportunities to take pictures.

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah, nice to see it coming back. One of the better pieces of art that we've seen.

Image40.jpg
Image39.jpg

Cyric

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can't see it being for the underpass being on the south side of the 11th, you have so much usable space on the northside for construction staging. I suspect the landowner is simply cleaning up the site and will be using it as a parking lot for the foreseeable future.
Capture.JPG

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some of the last old single family homes in Victoria Park came down today
In case anyone was wondering. These were not old as in 'heritage' type homes. They looked like they were built in the 30's-40's and were absolute dumps from the outside. I believe there is a couple houses further to the east that are still inhabited, and then of course there is Tony's Auto Service complete with residence that looks out of place now.

FCC1982

Member Bio
Reaction score
Man all that scorched earth land beside the tracks is irritating. I wish it would get some landscaping at least.

Disraeli

Member Bio
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering. These were not old as in 'heritage' type homes. They looked like they were built in the 30's-40's and were absolute dumps from the outside. I believe there is a couple houses further to the east that are still inhabited, and then of course there is Tony's Auto Service complete with residence that looks out of place now.
They were a classic example of "victory housing" which were small, formulaic houses built post-second world war for returning service members. You can see other examples throughout the inner city and throughout Canada. They might not have been flashy but they are an important part of our history and it's sad to see them tossed in the bin. Hopefully the site doesn't sit empty for decades

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Saw this drilling rig today west of the BMO Centre.
Would this be related to the proposed hotel ?
LRT work ?
Other ?View attachment 276953

That doesn't look to be within the hotel parcel, so I'd say it's for the Victoria Park Station redo. The timing would make sense too; we don't even have an official proposal for the hotel yet, while the station demolition is imminent.

Cyric

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yes, that rig is for the work on the vic park station, it is for construction of the new utility complex station that will be adjacent to the current power station. They've been doing underground utility work on that stretch of the line for the last few months getting it ready.

I mistakenly said in the transit thread I thought they would be building the temp platform there but having a proper read through of the the plans I see they will actually be making use of the the three configurations of the current platform during construction. Page 5: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=140804