News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Mewata Village is a much better name. Anyone know the history behind the name Mewata? I know the bridge and armoury carry the name - but would that name be just towards reconciliation going forward?

Edit: Nvm I actually read the blog post now 🙄 lol

Last edited:
I knew I*'d find it somewhere. My own vision for West Village (or Mewata Village)

Image4b.jpg

As someone who has been burned and then flooded out of Fort McMurray...why does Calgary encourage new development at the water and in flood plains? Even after your 2013 flood. It baffles me.

Canals would be empty much of the year as the Bow drops considerably starting around August. I guess water could be pumped in or dammed and left to stagnate.
You'd have to semi dam the canals similar to the lagoon at Bowness Park or Eau Claire. Let it dam up and freeze in the winter.

As someone who has been burned and then flooded out of Fort McMurray...why does Calgary encourage new development at the water and in flood plains? Even after your 2013 flood. It baffles me.
Major world's tops cities are built on flood plains as well. Only problem with Calgary is they have yet to construct the preventative system. Once proper measures such as the Dam are put in place, we'll most likely not have to worry about another flood unless something environmentally unimaginable happens beyond the current outliers we've experienced or have calculated. Amsterdam is a perfect example of city that should have been underwater by now but it scienced* the sh*t out of flood prevention.

Major world's tops cities are built on flood plains as well. Only problem with Calgary is they have yet to construct the preventative system. Once proper measures such as the Dam are put in place, we'll most likely not have to worry about another flood unless something environmentally unimaginable happens beyond the current outliers we've experienced or have calculated. Amsterdam is a perfect example of city that should have been underwater by now but it scienced* the sh*t out of flood prevention.
Yet to construct is the operative word now, isn’t it? All those new houses rebuilt in the lower part of Fort McMurray because a berm was promised to be built. Then put off and off and now oops underwater. Again. And nothing to stop being underwater again next year.

Most cities and towns ARE on water. That is why they became cites and towns. But even with flood mitigation it’s risky. And Calgary is building new right at the water. Looking at you, Concord. I don’t care how much they think they’ve engineered it to withstand a flood. East Village? That’s crazy right there.

Insurance. If you can get it. Might and I mean that sparingly, work once. Then what? You are stuck with an uninsurable property or astronomically expensive insurance. Or the city bails you out. Again. But you are still stuck with an uninsurable property. Almost impossible to sell and close to worthless on the market. Looking at you Fort McMurray. Condo complexes are hooped. Required by law to have insurance and can’t get it. Not even for a million dollars a year.
We will have to disagree on building in flood plains.

Insurance. If you can get it. Might and I mean that sparingly, work once. Then what? You are stuck with an uninsurable property or astronomically expensive insurance. Or the city bails you out. Again. But you are still stuck with an uninsurable property. Almost impossible to sell and close to worthless on the market. Looking at you Fort McMurray. Condo complexes are hooped. Required by law to have insurance and can’t get it. Not even for a million dollars a year.
We will have to disagree on building in flood plains.
I am curious how this works in most other cities - many "conquer nature" to some degree, progressively better engineering, increased upstream protections etc. - but so many cities around the world experience earthquakes, hurricanes and flash flooding. Surely insurance/state protections play a role elsewhere to varying degrees.

What makes our floodplain/insurance risks so different than the countless other cities in similar or worse situations? How does anyone build anything with such risk out there?

Unfortunately I’ve experienced multiple 1/100 year events in just a few years. I’m not believing it anymore. All I can say is if you want to live by the river, RENT on a high floor. You might lose your vehicle and storage in the underground, but otherwise at least you can recover your things, toss back the keys and walk away.

Back