News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I'm okay with this. I'm fine that they're leaving the President, which is older cheaper housing stock and adding a building to fill in the empty parking lot. Also having the retail is a nice little bonus.
From the file manager:

The proposal is for a six storey (25 metre) multi-residential building (25 units) with retail at the ground level. The proposed building is on the west half of the property, adjacent to the President building.

From the file manager:

The proposal is for a six storey (25 metre) multi-residential building (25 units) with retail at the ground level. The proposed building is on the west half of the property, adjacent to the President building.

Sounds great! I'd love to see more mixed-use, mid-rise buildings in the beltline that fill in some of the gaps between existing buildings. Also good to hear about more retail along 12 Ave.

100%. My son goes to a French immersion school in the inner city and it's so busy that they had to take out grade 6 level and move to another school just to keep up with the demand.
As someone who works in the education system, I can guarantee that no new inner city schools are going to be built in the next 25 years. Governments build schools at a glacial pace. Proactively responding to demographic numbers would be shocking. Look at all the suburban schools that are at capacity with a waitlist immediately after opening.

The inner city does have some interesting things going for it school wise. There is a huge rise in alternative programs (french immersion, spanish bilingual, science, arts based, TLC) and these tend to be located in the inner city because of extra space in older schools. The demand for these spaces exceeds capacity. The CBE awards these spaces based students living in the neighborhoods first before opening it up to other neighborhoods. Also, the high school that every student wants to go to is Western (because it is one of the most academic public schools in Alberta). It is extremely difficult to get into Western without an address in its catchment area. Many students I have taught have had parents rent an apartment downtown (they won't move in), just for the address and the ability to get into Western.

Has anyone ever seen this vision/render for a portion of the revitalized Eau Claire Plaza?

eau-claire-plaza.jpg

Oh wow. Well I don't mean to cause a general freakout, but I found the project page by the same people who designed the underpasses, poppy plaza, and the war memorial.

fullsizeoutput_39f6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_39f8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_39fa.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_39fd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_39ff.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3a01.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3a03.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3a05.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3a07.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3a09.jpeg

Is there a design for the new Jaipur Bridge yet?
This looks to be the new design.

Interesting to watch this one, if it goes we might see the density along Mission Road explode as I believe the other land not yet redeveloped land is already owned by only a few individuals along the road.
Any thoughts on this architect? I found their website hard to use

Proposed Designations
  • Multi-Residential - High Density Low Rise District (M-H1)
Address: Multiple Properties
File Number: LOC2019-0151
Applicant: CASOLA KOPPE

Last edited:
Oh wow. Well I don't mean to cause a general freakout, but I found the project page by the same people who designed the underpasses, poppy plaza, and the war memorial.

View attachment 206471View attachment 206472View attachment 206473View attachment 206474View attachment 206475View attachment 206476View attachment 206477View attachment 206478View attachment 206479View attachment 206480

Not sure this is the latest design. While some elements seem similar, it doesn't match what is shown on The City's Engage website:

Back