MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like the two developments are across the street from each other. South Bow looks good for scale and urban form...not sure about the materials.
I don't think the DP is the Giordano/Brava, as that one is a block or two west (and by Casola Koppe). The one Zoom asked about is by Sharon Wang Architect. Best I can tell from her website, it looks like it would be this one:

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
That is my first thought literally every time I see anything by Torode.

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Not big exciting news, but I am happy to see a Land Use application submitted for 20th ave NW, to change zoning from R-C2 to M-C2. I've long thought 20th ave should be higher density, and that the recent duplexes that have been going up was a wasted opportunity. I really hope the zoning increase gets approved, it would no doubt spur other developers to do the same.

Last edited:

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
This type of reaction will be the norm going forward I think. The city wants to increase density in the inner city so they won't have to approve another 14 new greenfield communities, but every time a developer wants to increase density to a level where it will actually be useful, the CA's will oppose it.

Often the CA doesn't really represent the people in it's community, only the handful of members in the CA. I remember members of the community who lived near 17th ave were opposed to zoning increases in that area, yet the CA says they are in support of the increases there, but are against these increases....probably because it's closer to where the members live. I'm glad the commission recommended approval. Hopefully council will do the same. I think R-C2 and M-CG is fine for streets off of the corridors, but it would be a wasted opportunity to limit a corridor like 20th ave to those zones.

That one went to planning commission last week:

Community Association was opposed to it:

But the Commission recommended approval to Council. It will probably be a long public hearing, and interesting to see which way Council goes on it: