News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

TBH, I never really thought of that as iconic lighting. I guess it's all a relative scale, but when you said iconic, I thought you meant liker the Chrysler tower or Eiffel Tower, or maybe something Asian like the Guangzhou IFC . I would say that City Centre or the crowns of Brookfield Place and 707 is in the same category as Aura. Calgary Tower (when all blue or all red) could be in there too.
IMG_3514a.jpg

Btw all when I mentioned Iconic lighting something that came to mind was Aura in Toronto:

aura-condo4.jpg

This tower is even more outstanding looking at night than in the day imo

Attachments

• IMG_3514a.jpg
    IMG_3514a.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Nudes first renders via the Battistella Instagram page. Don't as me why the decided to post it in a grid pattern. I love the neon sign at the top, something kind of different.

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.02.02 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.02.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 8.02.02 PM.png
    741.3 KB · Views: 361
Nice to see Calgary at the top for Canadian cities. As always these lists are subjective, but it's better to be at the top than the bottom. I'm sure there's a shitstorm happening at SSP in the Canada section lol.
Hey Surreal, have you perhaps come across any discussions in SPP regarding this years report from The Economist. I'd like to see what others from around the country have to say about Calgary beating out TO and Vancouver. I've done some digging but I don't find SSP very user friendly and haven't come across anything yet.

Hey Surreal, have you perhaps come across any discussions in SPP regarding this years report from The Economist. I'd like to see what others from around the country have to say about Calgary beating out TO and Vancouver. I've done some digging but I don't find SSP very user friendly and haven't come across anything yet.
I took a look at the Canada section to see the reaction and there was some fallout from it as expected, but not as bad as usual. There aren't many Calgarians left in the Canada section anymore, so nobody to defend Calgary, which also means less bickering I guess.

I took a look at the Canada section to see the reaction and there was some fallout from it as expected, but not as bad as usual. There aren't many Calgarians left in the Canada section anymore, so nobody to defend Calgary, which also means less bickering I guess.
I was digging around too but couldn't find much. I have, in the past seen a lot of negativity directed towards Calgary, maybe some of it due to some Calgarians gloating during the good times but it seems most of it is baseless which leads me to believe the underlying issue is jealousy.

The Economist survey of quality of life uses only one way of measuring wellness. I was just reading the Monocle July/August issue and its survey of quality of life. The only North American city that shows up in the top 25 is Vancouver at #15.

I was digging around too but couldn't find much. I have, in the past seen a lot of negativity directed towards Calgary, maybe some of it due to some Calgarians gloating during the good times but it seems most of it is baseless which leads me to believe the underlying issue is jealousy.
There has been lots of negativity toward Calgary (one of the reasons I don't go there anymore), but the Canada section is also everyone against everyone, and mostly 'hooray for my city' type posts. Nobody can ever say anything too positive without some kind of backlash. I think because Calgary was on a roll and there were a fair number of 'positive posting' Calgarians, Calgary became kind of the whipping boy for a while. Not to mention there are some genuine asshats in the mix over there.

Yes ssp has gone downhill in major way - ran by low level shills and trolls. This site is far more prominent in places like TO/CGY than ssp, wouldn't be at all surprised to see other cities follow suit.

Put together a list of Beltline current projects, included Park Point as it was just recently completed and not included in Beltline's last census population of nearly 25k. Can see Beltline hit 30k residents in about 4 years. There's also other projects in the mix such as the Hat at Elbow River (1250 units), these are just the u/c and strong probability of being starting soon projects. If economy ever picks up substantially i'm assuming we'll start to see more condo towers added to the mix as well.

Beltline Current Projects

U/C Units
Underwood Tower 225
The Point 369
Marriott Residences 303
One Tower 379
500 Block South 463
The Royal 223
Park Point 289

Pre-sales
Nude 177

Site Prep
Redstone 137
12 Ave SE by One Properties (may be multi-phase) 958
Total Units: 3,523

Honestly I don't see why we can't have a condo/hotel project 250+m being proposed within the next 3 years or so. Hotel market is doing really strong again while beltline/downtown is still doing a lot better in absorbing condos/rentals than the rest of the city. We had a strong municipal census this year, if can start putting up 35k+ people a year again in this city, I don't see why something big is unrealistic. I know someone said that I must be insane to think the next tallest building in Calgary won't be an office building but seeing how most of the tallest proposals across Canada are condos/hotels, it just seems like a matter of time before Calgary joins in on the fun. I was reading an article from March that showed hard construction costs and obtaining land was significantly cheaper in Calgary than Toronto and Vancouver which might explain the mini rental/condo boom we continue to have in a downturn. Some of these developers in Vancouver are barely breaking even because so much cost goes into just obtaining the land.

Price points and absorption levels are much lower in Calgary too. The biggest obstacle may just be the maximum allowable density. It would require a two tower site. It's wouldn't be the most economical way to develop a property.

Honestly I would almost never use neighborhood retail as the selection and pricing can never complete with online or big box. That leaves podium retail to liquor stores, flower shops, spas etc. Restaurants are the best use.

I prefer neighbourhood retail or mom and pops type stores. It's not just the convenience. You actually do get better quality at better prices than the box stores because they don't have the overhead. Podium retail is essentially a street facing mall or plaza. The trusts and funds that own podium retail are interested in chain stores as having a chain store as anchor increases the valuation of the property. They rather have units sit vacant than lease to a small business. I agree with you on that account. In that case, I rather buy online.

Back