News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

New Glenbow is what we really need, that and an upgrate to Arts Commons, it's always dead in there.

Is the food at the King Eddy good? Would definitely swing by there after work for a bear and a bite once in a while...

I live in East Village and in terms of the King Eddy I think the NMC may have erred in their menu and price point. The King Eddy is essentially the only pub/bar venue in the neighbourhood (Charbar being a bit too upscale for most). Instead of making it the go-to local hangout they chose to go with a New Orleans inspired menu that doesn't have broad appeal and they chose a price point that pushes it into a price category above places like the Hose and Hound in Inglewood or the Palamino. In essence they're hoping enough Calgarians will pop by once a month when they could have had a captive market in East Village visiting once or twice a week. As someone who loves live music I'm very much hoping they're right and I'm wrong. I also agree that more advertising is needed.
It would do very well as a Hose and Hound type place, even a chain type like Original Joe's or Jamieson's. The one thing constant about the restaurant business is change. If it doesn't pan out, another restaurant/pub operator will go in, and it will continue until one work.

That raises a question. Do you operate/market it as known brand entity (i.e a Original Joes or Jamiesons) that is located in the King Eddy, or do you try and make a go of it as the King Edward Hotel ... disguised as a food and beverage place?

A chain pub / restaurant would make money, but I would prefer something unique that would compliment the facility as a whole.

There's no reason to think that something interesting won't come for the area with time. Even suburbia manages to have some unique and worthwhile pubs. It's one of the few things it can do reliably well for amenities TBH.

I like that little place that fills growlers, but honestly a huge mistake not having a pub in that back alley.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone puts something cool in Verve when all's said and done.

Heard that FGL/Mark's will be consolidating offices and taking over much of the Jacobs building in Quarry Park, under the banner "Canadian Tire West". The recently acquired Helly Hansen will also be located there. Maybe this couod be a first step towards poaching the Canadian Tire HQ given that the owner and her named successor both live in Calgary.

Heard that FGL/Mark's will be consolidating offices and taking over much of the Jacobs building in Quarry Park, under the banner "Canadian Tire West". The recently acquired Helly Hansen will also be located there. Maybe this couod be a first step towards poaching the Canadian Tire HQ given that the owner and her named successor both live in Calgary.
I was under the impression that Canadian Tire was a widely held company. I'm curious who you're referring to.

That raises a question. Do you operate/market it as known brand entity (i.e a Original Joes or Jamiesons) that is located in the King Eddy, or do you try and make a go of it as the King Edward Hotel ... disguised as a food and beverage place?
I like the idea of an individual restaurant/pub with it's own name being located at the King Eddy. If someone can make a go of it as the King Eddy, that's great but it's not likely going to have as long a run as the original King Eddy had. If they use an new name, but located at the King Eddy, the King Eddy name can stay forever regardless of the restaurant changes.

I'd prefer a unique business if possible. If all fails, I'll settle for a local chain.

The 2018 Economist Liveability Survey is out. Calgary was the top placed Canadian city at 4th. Vancouver came 6th and Toronto 7th. Calgary was placed 5th last year if you recall. With both Vancouver and Toronto placing ahead of us at 3 and 4, so butts to them I say! Calgary Wins! :D

View attachment 153465

Calgary's biggest drawback was Culture and Environment, where we only scored a 90. Which I think is fair. We do well, but there's no way we can compete with a city like Vienna yet. It takes time to build up the institutions. We had the lowest score in the top 10, but I still have to think that doesn't reflect too poorly on us. At least it was an improvement. Calgary scored 89.1 last year. We also upped our infrastructure score from 96.4 to 100. Oddly, Vancouver scored the only 100 in the category in the top 10. I'm assuming that the environment portion is pulling it's weight harder than the culture portion. Which isn't to say that I don't think they have some great culture there, but I don't even think I'd score it higher than TO.

Calgary had perfect 100s across the board the rest of the way. So go enjoy an art more often and maybe we'll top the pile. :p

I'm glad that Vancouver and Toronto were hammered for their infrastructure. Toronto had the lowest score in the top 10 and handily deserves it. I also wonder about Vancouver's lower stability score. 95 is consistent from last year. I wonder if the pipeline protests are hurting them at all, or if it's more of a reflection of some of the really rundown areas of the city (e.g. Hastings).

EDIT: If found a CBC article, which shows the rank for Montreal, but not the metric scores. It ranked 19th, dropping 7 places from 12th last year.

MORE EDIT: I also found a MacLean's article which might shed some light on Vancouver's lower stability score. Crime is a component and Vancouver Metro municipalities tend to score worse than those of Calgary and Toronto. Langley is actually 6th worst. Vancouver proper is 35th worst compared to the other cities the Economist ranks: Calgary 93, Montreal 97 and Toronto 124. (Edmonton is even worse at 31)

I find it interesting to compare this list to cost of living indices (so you can get a sense of value for money within this group). These are from expatistan.com and are based on current exchange rates:

City Livability index Cost index
Vienna 99.1 150
Melbourne 98.4 181
Osaka 97.7 158
Calgary 97.5 158
Sydney 97.4 207
Vancouver 97.3 173
Tokyo 97.2 189
Toronto 97.2 175
Copenhagen 96.8 196
Adelaide 96.6 162

After living in a number of cities in Canada, the US, South Africa, and Australia, this lines up with my personal experience: of the really nice places to live in the English-speaking world, Calgary is the most affordable. Vienna and Osaka pip us on the global ranking slightly, but for those who don't speak German or Japanese, the value for money here is unparalleled.

I like the idea of an individual restaurant/pub with it's own name being located at the King Eddy. If someone can make a go of it as the King Eddy, that's great but it's not likely going to have as long a run as the original King Eddy had. If they use an new name, but located at the King Eddy, the King Eddy name can stay forever regardless of the restaurant changes.

I'd prefer a unique business if possible. If all fails, I'll settle for a local chain.

Yeah agreed, given the place is somewhat subsidized they should use it as an opportunity to be unique. Something for visitors to the city to experience.

My preference is definitely for a one of unique resto in the King Eddy, and given the rise of East Village, there's a good opportunity for one. Sometimes it's like trying to force a square peg through a round hole, and it may not work. If that's the case a chain will probably do fine. One thing about the guys like Original Joe's etc.. is they draw people, and are reasonable value.

Whoa - that would be huge. Having a large national retailer make a home in Calgary would be akin to when CP moved out of the East. Fingers crossed, we could use some more diversity in our corporate landscape.

Totally ignorant on this but have we seen any proposals for next tallest building? Toronto will be breaking 300m in the next 5 or so years and I feel like it isn't that out of reach in the West to do the same.

Back