News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Calgary's moving in the right direction when it comes to cultural stuff. The new music centre and library and a great step in the right direction. We still need a proper dedicated art museum though. Something most other cities have and Calgary inexplicably doesn't.

Agreed with Oddball on basically every point. Calgary is a fantastic place to live; the only knocks on this city are the lack of cultural institutions. I wouldn't make excuses that we aren't an old city so we don't have cultural institutions (we've knocked down our fair share of heritage buildings here). To me, culture is something that gets developed when people are focused on it. We need to invest in better entertainment and cultural institutions (museums, music centres, universities, etc.), but also focus on allowing for better urban development to allow for organic cultural institutions to pop up.

There is likely a common story as Calgary (and any "new" city) ages. Many people attracted for work during our booming 1950 - 2010 growth phase (from 130,000 people to 1.1 million) weren't expecting much more than a place for opportunity and to live. For comparison, Montreal's growth between these population values occurred from 1860 to 1930 and Toronto's occurred between 1890 to 1945.

Inevitably with more people comes job/interest diversification, children who grow up in a new place with different values than their parents who emigrated, and cultural services being increasingly in demand as people decide to stay for family/connections, rather than employment only. It's why we have people fighting for better pathways, or public art or better design. Boom towns don't have that, they are truly temporary as no critical mass can develop that wants to stay past the basic need for employment.

Size is critical too. Subcultures require people to function and generate cultural output. You need a large population (and mainstream) to create enough people that reject the mainstream and try to form something different. If a city is too small it's easier for the individual to migrate to established centres to get the culture they want than start a cool new project where only 10 people will show up and have it not be sustainable. It's much easier to get 10,000 people (and their spending power to sustain it) to a random street festival in Calgary in 2018 than it was in 1958.

Big "heavy" institutions like universities, central libraries and arenas are key anchors for the growth of culture. But subtler factors are equally important; density/accessibility to make interactions possible, affordable spaces that are attractive for diverse interests outside the mainstream, including housing choices (affordable dive bars, quirky alley retail, artist studios, performance spaces, affordable housing in areas attractive to young/creative types etc.) Calgary is on a good trajectory, but has to work off an excess of boring, normative, single-use environments hogging many key areas (downtown core, low-density inner suburbs, areas around universities etc.) which are holding back more organic cultural growth in some cases, at least more so than other cities.

Calgary's moving in the right direction when it comes to cultural stuff. The new music centre and library and a great step in the right direction. We still need a proper dedicated art museum though. Something most other cities have and Calgary inexplicably doesn't.
For Contemporary that is coming, will assist in the score, as I'm sure the NMC has done in this years.

Contemporary will be a nice addition, and IMO probably a stepping stone to a larger facility at a later time. all art galleries, no matter how big or famous, start out somewhere.

Contemporary will be a nice addition, and IMO probably a stepping stone to a larger facility at a later time. all art galleries, no matter how big or famous, start out somewhere.

I fear that approach will just kick the ball down the street another 20-30 years.

Personally, I think the most realistic way forward may be with a new Glenbow, with an expanded purview of exhibiting more contemporary works of art. A section that looks backwards, and a section that looks forward.

Or maybe NMC can expand its role as well if it continues to be a little shallow in terms of content. I'm not sure the building could handle large sculptures, but otherwise its layout is pretty similar to many art galleries.

I'd start with an arena. But yeah, someone should probably fork over some dough for some Rembrandts and Monets so that when they croak their children stick it in a gallery.

They are - the 70s oil money generation just hasn't started dying in great numbers yet. At death, their estates do 'deemed position', and donating art that has been deemed to increase in value greatly reduces the estate's overall tax burden.

It would also be nice if some of those oil billionaires put their money into art collecting instead of propping up right-wing propagandists like The Rebel and The Manning Centre, Fraser Institute, etc. The Esker Foundation is a great contribution to the city.
Esker foundation is a good addition to the city. If anyone is down in Inglewood, they should check it their gallery. It's free.

I think we are getting there. Few things to note on this front.

National Music Centre: what a great site, it's a local architecture marvel and the rebirth of the King Eddy adds a cool aspect. That being said, they need to figure out what they want that place to be: performing space, training facility, archive, museum, artist in residence hotspot, or something else. At the moment they are trying to be everything to every one and it's not quite working. I think they'll figure it out however in the meantime it's kind of a waste.

Contemporary Art Gallery: This is such a huge addition to the cultural landscape. It's astounding we don't have a dedicated civic gallery being that Calgary is home to ACAD, Banff Centre is on our doorstep, and there is good local wealth to support patronage. In my experience with Contemporary Calgary the largest barrier appeared to be ineffectual leadership. Yeah, the planetarium is not perfect but it checks a ton of boxes: centrally located, great way to repurpose a heritage building, west downtown needs some love, on the train, and comes at a decent cost.

Overall cultural landscape: I agree 100% that it's something that needs to be invested in. It appears to me that institutions with a youth focus receive more support if we look at things like Telus Spark, continued Zoo investment, central library and numerous new rec centers. I think it has to be with the young overall age in the city. In terms of culture, Calgary has great local theatre and orchestra's but visual arts are certainly under appreciated. The thing is, we can't rely on the Glenbow to be everything, it's primary function is as an archive. It's not a bad museum but we can't expect it to also fill the role of a proper civic gallery as well.

Anyway just my thoughts, bottom line is that contemporary calgary and the new library should help big time.

Melbourne has apparently reigned supreme for the last 7 years at the Economist. The lead story in the free report is that Vienna knocked them off. I know what you mean about Van topping lists though. They must have done it somewhere else recently. There's very little depth in the free report on Canadian cities. The most they have to say is that low population density might have a large role to play in Canadian and Australian success on account of us possessing 6 of the top 10.

Before Melbourne Vancouver was the most livable city from 2004-2010.

Re NMC: They need to do some marketing of the King Eddie. Anytime I walk past there in the evenings (a couple of times a week), it is usually dead. I am sure a lot of Calgarians are not even aware that it is open for food & beverage. No doubt they have a limited marketing budget but they need to do something to attract a regular clientele. Increased population of East Village will eventually help but can they afford to wait that long?

Re NMC: They need to do some marketing of the King Eddie. Anytime I walk past there in the evenings (a couple of times a week), it is usually dead. I am sure a lot of Calgarians are not even aware that it is open for food & beverage. No doubt they have a limited marketing budget but they need to do something to attract a regular clientele. Increased population of East Village will eventually help but can they afford to wait that long?

I live in East Village and in terms of the King Eddy I think the NMC may have erred in their menu and price point. The King Eddy is essentially the only pub/bar venue in the neighbourhood (Charbar being a bit too upscale for most). Instead of making it the go-to local hangout they chose to go with a New Orleans inspired menu that doesn't have broad appeal and they chose a price point that pushes it into a price category above places like the Hose and Hound in Inglewood or the Palamino. In essence they're hoping enough Calgarians will pop by once a month when they could have had a captive market in East Village visiting once or twice a week. As someone who loves live music I'm very much hoping they're right and I'm wrong. I also agree that more advertising is needed.

Yeah, I didn't even know about the restaurant in the King Eddy until I stumbled into there nearly suffering heat stroke with my girlfriend and her twins last week. They had great service and a cosy atmosphere though, so I hope they do well. Maybe just need to re-evaluate a bit.

Back