News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Not a huge breaking story, but it looks like the city has backed off on the idea of turning a section of dog park near Queen's Park Cemetery in more cemetery. Some may look at a dog park as already being a waste, but IMO it's 100 times more useful than a cemetery.

Good morning,
You are receiving this email because you have provided comments on the land use amendment application for the extension of the Queens Park Cemetery - LOC2018-0062.
This is to inform you that the application has been officially cancelled by the Applicant (Parks Department).

Kind regards,

Giyan

Sounds great. It's just not realistic the federal government will cover 50% of the total costs of the games. They will give a lump sum commitment and walk away with the province or city responsible for any cost overruns. (and there will be under the current budget outline) The proposed facility upgrades and the affordable housing could still be built for less without hosting the games and without a federal commitment.

Looking at this as a federal cash grab is wrong. It will cost the city several hundred million dollars just for the opportunity to host and that's what people have to consider when choosing to host a games no one wants to host. The IOC was desperate for Beijing to step in as host. Stockholm won't last much longer in the current competition. Milan probably isn't too far behind. That leaves only Calgary and some city in Turkey. There's no economic formula that works.
I doubt we would actually spend nearly that much on affordable housing or facilities without it.

If you're worried about cost overruns, building the same facilities without the Olympics does not avoid that problem.

The current budget has a huge contingency built in on the individual parts, and then for the overall amounts, I read something like 15-20%.

I think the IOC contribution has been noted as higher than what is in the budget too. $925 million US. Almost 1,207 million in CAD. $444 million more than budget at current exchange rate.

Does anyone have any information about the 4th street underpass improvements? I remember the initial designs included wall panels of light that would change as people walk along the underpass. I also remember they were doing some testing before construction began a few years ago with a mockup.

They've reopened the east side of the underpass and work is now progressing on the west sidewalks. However, it doesn't look like there has been any work done for the panels. Does anyone know if this has been completely removed from the scope of the project or will they just be the installed last before the improvements are complete?

I doubt we would actually spend nearly that much on affordable housing or facilities without it.

If you're worried about cost overruns, building the same facilities without the Olympics does not avoid that problem.

The current budget has a huge contingency built in on the individual parts, and then for the overall amounts, I read something like 15-20%.

I think the IOC contribution has been noted as higher than what is in the budget too. $925 million US. Almost 1,207 million in CAD. $444 million more than budget at current exchange rate.

I agree on the affordable housing part. It's a reality I find very unfortunate and would rather remain oblivious to it.

I meant the cost over runs exclusive to hosting the games. Of course, there could be cost overruns without the games to build the facilities but, those could be lessened by simply adjusting the timetable. Pro supporters are using affordable housing and federal contributions as a big winfall for hosting the games as if there isn't a much larger expenditure which the city/province must endure exclusively from hosting a two week party. My buddy still talks about the cost of the Peace Bridge and yet he's full on for the Olympics. He envisions 1988 or Vancouver. The games have ballooned to 2.5 times the '88 games adding many more times to the costs and Vancouver met nearly every target satisfying a national desire for hosting a games.

Can't forget...a new hockey arena for a multi-million dollar sports franchise at no cost to the city.

Not too sure if this is the appropriate thread or not but a couple quick tidbits on public realm improvements... apparently the official opening of West Eau Claire Park (area in front of the peace bridge) is scheduled for September 21. As well the CMLC has started construction of an off-leash dog park similar to the one that was recently built in the beltline. This new one is located where the bandstand is on the Fort Calgary lands.

Not too sure if this is the appropriate thread or not but a couple quick tidbits on public realm improvements... apparently the official opening of West Eau Claire Park (area in front of the peace bridge) is scheduled for September 21. As well the CMLC has started construction of an off-leash dog park similar to the one that was recently built in the beltline. This new one is located where the bandstand is on the Fort Calgary lands.
Nice to see another off leash area in the core. Also nice to see Peace Bridge park finally finishing off.

I'm not trying to stir up a suburban vs urban debate, but does anyone know if these costs would be similar in Calgary?

DneUMAAV4AArX4I.jpg

I measured the currently underutilized area/Stampede grounds in the Beltline. Amounts to 867,961 sq metres i.e. 0.87 square km; subtracting that from the total 2.9 square km area of Beltline get to just a slight bit over 2.0 square km. At nearly 25k population now, Beltline density is around 12,500 square km. Not bad considering a good amount of other uses too. When pop hits 30k in about 4-5 years the main areas of Beltline will feel quite dense at 15,000 residents per square km.

upload_2018-9-21_11-27-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-21_11-27-44.png
    upload_2018-9-21_11-27-44.png
    2 MB · Views: 431
And when you consider that most of the two block strip south of the CP tracks is made of up commercial/office or empty lots (exception of Bromley Square, Mount Royal House, Mark on 10th and 6Th and Tenth) it makes the section of Beltline between 11th ave - 17th, and Macleod trail - 14th, a very dense area.

Would be interesting to know what the population is in that 1.39 square km area.

Beltline.jpg

Attachments

• Beltline.jpg
    Beltline.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:

Back