News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Around the federal census. It's kinda silly that it isn't, but I think the issue is around how Statscan creates their CMAs. They don't seem to want them to be non-contiguous land areas. Meaning, in order to include Okotoks, you'd have to include the entire MD of Foothills. Which doesn't sound so special until you realized doing so would easily make Calgary the largest CMA by area. It would probably make more sense to drop Mountain View and add Foothills if you ask me. There must be many more people commuting between Calgary, Okotoks and High River than the likes of Olds and Sundre.

Mountainview County isn't and has never been part of our CMA. Our CMA, with Foothills MD included, would still be significantly smaller than the Edmonton CMA. The Calgary CMA is composed of the City of Calgary, Rocky View County, and the cities inside Rocky View County.

Calgary CMA: 5,108 km2 - 1,469,000
Edmonton CMA: 9,439 km2 - 1,393,000
Ottawa CMA: 6,287 km2 - 1,351,000

Calgary CMA + Foothills: 8,745 km2: ~1,540,000 (1,469,000 + ~71,000)

Per StatCan - http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/demo05a-eng.htm

Last edited:
Hard to believe that Calgary is closing in on 1.6M people, I remember when the CMA hit a million, it doesn't seem that long ago. Foothills will get added sometime it's just a matter of when. The driving force will probably be Okotoks growth, as they tend to commute to Calgary more than High River and some of the others.
Mountainview County isn't and has never been part of our CMA. Our CMA, with Foothills MD included, would still be significantly smaller than the Edmonton CMA. The Calgary CMA is composed of the City of Calgary, Rocky View County, and the cities inside Rocky View County.
Per StatCan - http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/demo05a-eng.htm

My bad. I couldn't pull up a lot of the info last night to verify my statements either.

1.5M that's pretty crazy.

No worries, I'm just a gigantic nerd.

lmao well yayyyy then, because I enjoy them too.

On that note, I just calculated what our population would be if the entire Calgary Regional Partnership/Calgary Economic Region (Calgary, Rocky View, Foothills, Banff, Canmore, and Strathmore) was our CMA. It would be 1,576,000 people. Though our geographic size would be superfluously exorbitant, I didn't even bother to calculate.

I keep clicking on the wrong thread. You guys are really into population counts. 1.6 million is mindblowing!!

Yeah, I'd imagine the municipal censuses are quite a bit more accurate, as the federal census has a widely accepted and admitted undercount, especially apparent in high-growth jurisdictions like Alberta and the Golden Horseshoe.

I'm sure you're up on all this stuff, but I'm curious do you have any links to discussions on this? I kinda just want to see something concrete. "Guy said on forum" ain't exactly fit for a bibliography. :p

There seems to be a correlation between skyscraper nerds and population nerds. The higher the number the better. ;)

Well I'm majoring in Urban Planning, so both things are totally in-tune with my studies, and my passions :)

I'm sure you're up on all this stuff, but I'm curious do you have any links to discussions on this? I kinda just want to see something concrete. "Guy said on forum" ain't exactly fit for a bibliography. :p

hmmm, I'd imagine you could just google "census undercount" and it would be there.

Edit: here's a couple of links from StatCan after a search of "Census Undercount StatCan"...

Explanation: http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/ref/estima-eng.cfm

Undercount Tables: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-002-x/2015001/t307-eng.htm

Just had sort of an interesting thought on how the city could encourage improvements to the public realm. Is it possible for the city to give tax incentives to companies that agree to redo the sidewalks/trees/street furniture on their respective blocks? Furthermore, if possible, they could also do this to give incentive to building owners to redo their CRUs to make them oriented to the sidewalk, rather than the only entrance being inside an interior +15 mall. This is currently being done at Bow Valley Square without incentive, so imagine the changes that could be made to the downtown/beltline with incentives? *daydreams*

Back