News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I also have to add that 64,922 is larger than the 2016 Federal Census figure for Medicine hat (63,260). It's getting to be one of the larger municipalities in the province. It's time for the City to up it's game construction wise. It has to aspire to be more than just a chunk of Calgary disconnected by 10 kilometers of highway. Let's see some character!

Called the clerks office about a somewhat related matter - they are out in mid to late July. My guess is next week.
Thx!

Any guesses as to what the growth in 2017 will be? My best educated guess (and that's not saying much) is about 10K natural increase should be around the 10-11k as per usual, but my guess is net migration will be close to even.

I also have to add that 64,922 is larger than the 2016 Federal Census figure for Medicine hat (63,260). It's getting to be one of the larger municipalities in the province. It's time for the City to up it's game construction wise. It has to aspire to be more than just a chunk of Calgary disconnected by 10 kilometers of highway. Let's see some character!

I agree and I also believe they are putting together a committee to assess future downtown development. There are going to be some big changes coming. Recently the city tried to push through an $80,000,000.00 project that received a ton of backlash, which I though was unfortunate. Some people are fine with what we have now but I believe that we need to really revamp downtown and make it appealing to both businesses and residents. Does need to start being built up in the area and get rid of all the strip malls.

Thx!

Any guesses as to what the growth in 2017 will be? My best educated guess (and that's not saying much) is about 10K natural increase should be around the 10-11k as per usual, but my guess is net migration will be close to even.

I'm gonna guess about 12-15K net for the the City of Calgary. Positive natural growth and net international migration, but probably still negative net inter-provincial migration.

Considering the strength of Airdrie and Cochrane, as well as the resurgent residential market in Calgary, I'm going to go on the optimistic side and say about 15 000 for Calgary, which will put us at around 20 000 for the metropolitan area.

Wow that Airdrie figure is mind boggling. I haven't had a chance to catch up on the whole thread yet. Has Okotoks released it's figures yet?

Okotoks, High River, Black Diamond, Turner Valley, and Foothills MD did not do municipal censuses this year. But I'd imagine, I dunno, 4000 for the entire region as a whole?

I agree and I also believe they are putting together a committee to assess future downtown development. There are going to be some big changes coming. Recently the city tried to push through an $80,000,000.00 project that received a ton of backlash, which I though was unfortunate. Some people are fine with what we have now but I believe that we need to really revamp downtown and make it appealing to both businesses and residents. Does need to start being built up in the area and get rid of all the strip malls.
Downtown needs work no question. It's much better than it used to be 20 years ago, but still has a ways to go. I think there needs to be more retail at the street level in the CBD and more residential.

Thx!

Last year was ~5K, but this year I'm going with 10-15K

Downtown needs work no question. It's much better than it used to be 20 years ago, but still has a ways to go. I think there needs to be more retail at the street level in the CBD and more residential.

He was talking about Airdrie dude :p But yes, you're right.

$80M is a decent sized project for Airdrie. What were they proposing?

Back