News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Close, I think it's 1975. The Bow Valley tower in the pic was completed in 1975....not sure what time of year it was completed in 1975, but the pic is mid to late summer.
The trolleybuses existed until early 1975, but clearly this was shot in the summer. Also, it appears the tower was topped out not long from when it was taken--kinda tell the mechanical level was still being worked on. 1974 for sure.

Last edited:
This sounds like an amazing project. I really hope it is successful! Maybe it will encourage more owners to redevelop office properties with more outward facing retail!
The complex is really well positioned to do this kind of thing as it's configuration is excellent already (and rightly criticized for failing to be interesting at all despite being a relatively new build and having good bones). If they incorporate the corner into this brewery/market/greenhouse type thing, it's directly across from Central Memorial Park and all the vibrancy improvements in the past decade. Would be a good park anchor.

A lot of people on the roof, and staging material today.
IMG_0674.jpg

Harsh and verrrry true words for that space.

construction has been underway for a while there now.

I'm not surprised a San Francisco firm bought the property as I believe there is a Google office in the west building, has been for about a year too. Excited to see some vitality added to that site!

Sounds like a great project. These relatively smaller interventions can have a big impact on the neighbourhood. As is, the three buildings didn't really contribute much street life to the neighbourhood, but there were some interesting elements about the site - mainly the corridor that connects from 11th Ave to 12th Ave. Some small changes to how the ground floor interacts with the exterior space will have a major impact. I think this project will punch above its weight.

I sure hope they find the right retail to attract customers. There are already dozens of empty store fronts on 10th, 11th and 12 Ave SW. New residential buildings such as SODO, 6th & 10th, Park Central, Underwood have added more to the mix. Hard to be optimistic about the future of retail and hospitality in the core.

Last edited:
Food hall is a good idea as long as it's not just a fancy food court, we have a million of those downtown already! First Street Market (Underwood tower) seems to be slowly progressing still, wonder if they have had much luck leasing there...

Food hall is a good idea as long as it's not just a fancy food court, we have a million of those downtown already! First Street Market (Underwood tower) seems to be slowly progressing still, wonder if they have had much luck leasing there...

What's the difference between a food hall and a fancy food court?

It's all about the food vendors, a food court is like the mall, New York Fries, Edo, A&W... food halls are typically small local businesses in a similar setting. The Avenida Food Hall is the model everyone seems to want to follow. Some food halls are licensed too, so you can have a beer with your craft burger or ramen. If they can put a small market in there too then that's even more win for everyone.

Back