News   Apr 02, 2020
 2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 774     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
Streetside have owned that property for years. For the far east side of Inglewood, their development will fit in just fine.

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm not sure how long it's been up but the Cultural and Entertainment District has it's own website. It brands itself as 'Culture + Entertainment District' now or 'c+e' for short.
https://www.cedistrict.com/
I wonder where that puts Arts Commons/Glenbow/Vertigo on the cultural & entertainment map. They are far enough apart from the BMO/Stampede that you might confuse someone not from Calgary.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think they should stick with the Rivers District for the whole area, there are cultural and entertainment amenities spread all over downtown.

JoeUrban

Member Bio
Reaction score
I see there's a land use amendment and a building permit application for the NW corner of 15 Ave and 2nd St SW.

1593478538085.png

Addresses:
1413 2 ST SW
302 15 AV SW
310 15 AV SW
314 15 AV SW
316 15 AV SW

1593478629212.png

This plot contains the Heritage Inventoried Rossmore Apartments and the house at 302 15 Ave SW which has been submitted for inclusion on the inventory but as far as I know it has not been evaluated yet

This is an interesting and really unique streetscape as there are those two buildings plus the Alexander Terrace apartments and the Western Hospital.

1593479344330.png

In front of the un-inventoried brick home is also the kind of fun 1907 dog prints immortalized in the sidewalk

Anyone have any details on the BP?

Last edited:

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
That’s terrible. The potential loss of a quarter block of beautiful history when only a block or two away is nothing but an ocean of parking lots. Come on...

The ocean of parking surrounds a future subway station even! Just build there for shits sake.

Cowtown

Member Bio
Reaction score
The city's DP site shows the development on second street encompassing both the brick house and the small apartment building :mad: I would be extremely annoyed if in this time of down-turned economy, covid19 and stalled projects, this project went ahead. Same for the proposal at Red's.

Is there some kind of secret bylaw in Calgary that says you can't building on an empty lot, it has to involve tearing down cool old buildings :mad:

Disraeli

Member Bio
Reaction score
The city's DP site shows the development on second street encompassing both the brick house and the small apartment building :mad: I would be extremely annoyed if in this time of down-turned economy, covid19 and stalled projects, this project went ahead. Same for the proposal at Red's.

Is there some kind of secret bylaw in Calgary that says you can't building on an empty lot, it has to involve tearing down cool old buildings :mad:
No but the city could pass a bylaw registering the buildings as municipal historic resources giving them legal protection.

UrbanRED

Member Bio
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but would love to see them recycle the historic facade and build a condo on top... Toronto does this a lot (some rather successfully, some in incredibly tacky manners). Would obviously prefer them to get rid of a parking lot first though, but so it goes.