News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 883     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

gsunnyg

Member Bio
Reaction score
Noticed Google street view updated a few more streets in our city. This one pic really caught my eye. Makes u really go wow at what 4.5 years of development can do. Would have been nice if the economy didn't sink, or at least for a few more years. Makes you ponder on what EV and the Core area in general could have been right now:

May 2014:

Oct. 2018:

Last edited:

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Incredible change over that amount of time.

Noticed Google street view updated a few more streets in our city. This one pic really caught my eye. Makes u really go wow at what 4.5 years of development can do. Would have been nice if the economy didn't sink, or at least for a few more years. Makes you ponder on what EV and the Core area in general could have been right now:

May 2014:

Oct. 2018:

May 2014:

Oct. 2018:

outoftheice

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like all the funding is in place now for the BMO centre expansion:

This is very exciting news! Aside from this one render that has been continuously making the rounds are there any publicly available site plans or other renders? I'm interested to see how this integrates with the existing BMO Centre and what kind of street presence (if any) it has on Olympic Way.

Always_Biking

Member Bio
Reaction score

Beltline_B

Member Bio
Reaction score
No other renderings, but @Bokimon mentioned that the final design will look similar to the rendering.
This is very exciting news! Aside from this one render that has been continuously making the rounds are there any publicly available site plans or other renders? I'm interested to see how this integrates with the existing BMO Centre and what kind of street presence (if any) it has on Olympic Way.

gsunnyg

Member Bio
Reaction score
A good short read for anyone interested. Looks like the Beltline is expected to add 2500 rental and condo units over the span of a few years. Translating to roughly 4000 more residents. Great pace for a slow economy. Hopefully things kick into overdrive in the coming years and we double that number in the same span of time.

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
A good short read for anyone interested. Looks like the Beltline is expected to add 2500 rental and condo units over the span of a few years. Translating to roughly 4000 more residents. Great pace for a slow economy. Hopefully things kick into overdrive in the coming years and we double that number in the same span of time.
Wow that's unreal. When I moved here I never thought I'd see the day when the Beltline hit 30,000 people... now it might happen by the time I graduate ?

Excellent, and the fact that they’re starting soon is even more exciting.
Just to clarify, only Hall F is starting soon, that's the section that the Cowboys Concert tent currently occupies during stampede. The glassy expansion won't begin til 2021.

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am astonished at these growth projections for the inner city. Tens of thousands of jobs have been lost in downtown in the last 4 years. Not just oil & gas but also in retail and the hospitality industry. What will draw all these people to move to the inner city???? I mean, downtown Calgary is far from being the vibrant, and active destination that Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal's is.

BKha

Member Bio
Reaction score
Younger people like to live downtown, even if they work elsewhere. That and even though there have been jobs lost in the core, there are still new jobs being created as people retired. Case in point, we've had a couple of people retire in the last year, and both people were replaced by younger people. One of them who lives in the Beltline and the other in Sunnyside. I know that isn't happening by the thousands, but it does happen.
I am astonished at these growth projections for the inner city. Tens of thousands of jobs have been lost in downtown in the last 4 years. Not just oil & gas but also in retail and the hospitality industry. What will draw all these people to move to the inner city???? I mean, downtown Calgary is far from being the vibrant, and active destination that Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal's is.

CBBarnett

Member Bio
Reaction score
What will draw people to the city centre like Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto? Great question!

The 200,000+ jobs that are still in the centre city for one thing, the single largest concentration of jobs in Alberta. And while I agree our vibrancy is minor next to the big 3, it's still the most vibrant urban area you'll get within a 12 hour drive. So if you want urban vibrancy, but don't want to move to Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto - it's your ticket. Significant improvements in the public realm in the city centre have supported that as well as the growing service and amenity mix that have followed the increase in city centre population.

I guess the question comes down to:
  • to what extent will Calgary city's centre follow the trends of every other large city in this country?
  • And if we are going to head for a different path, what makes us so different that we materially will buck the long-term urbanization trends all cities are experiencing?
I see little evidence we will be structurally different: we didn't invent suburban sprawl, nor did we invent urban re-population yet we are building both nonetheless. Our population is growing (as is all major cities), our economy is more diverse than ever (albeit still more concentrated than other places). But so were all of other cities when they were our size. Montreal went through a decade of recession worse than anything Alberta has seen in 40 years and their city never stopped growing, nor being vibrant, nor having a strong population in city centre. All Canadian cities built sprawly-suburbs, all reinvested and grew in their core after.

A few areas we are materially different right now:
  • Far higher average incomes over decades have promoted ownership over renting which is reflected in our relatively tiny apartment supply and makes the suburban lifestyle be more dominate in the public mind here (because we have collectively always been able to afford it). This could change.
  • Far lower student population (in the core and rest of the city). This depresses apartment supply and the youthful culture that is key to the vibrancy question. What's always lost on the oil-fueled boomers is that Calgary has never attracted more 18-24 years olds proportionally than the other major cities in Canada - boom or not. We have never been competitive for this demographic while we pat ourselves on the back for attracting middle aged professionals. Not a bad demographic to attract, just a real blind spot exists for students and youth here.

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thanks CB. I appreciate your perspective on this. As a current resident of the Beltline since 2010, I was attracted to the potential of the the city centre and what it might become. (and I am not young by the way) There were and are some ambitious plans for Eau Claire, East Village, 17 Ave, east Victoria Park. Unfortunately, our current recession, has put a lot of this on hold. Population growth, if it is realized, will help accelerate things again. It is just going to take a lot longer to realize the vision. ?

Last edited:

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score

May 2014:

Oct. 2018:
Incredible growth!

Bokimon

Member Bio
Reaction score
No other renderings, but @Bokimon mentioned that the final design will look similar to the rendering.
actually I think I may be wrong on that one, that render is a rough conceptual design that came from one of the national firms. The full design of it will be to whoever actually ends up designing this in cahoots with a local firm.