News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

If sure this had nothing to do with it:

"With negative year-over-year consumer traffic for Q3 2018, our financial results for the quarter fell well below our expectations," said Jim Gabel, President and Chief Executive Officer of Roots. "We faced significant headwinds due to three main factors: a weaker brand voice in the absence of a large marketing campaign, unseasonably warm fall weather that persisted through approximately two-thirds of the quarter, and lapping one-time Canada 150-related sales recorded in Q3 2017. "

Selling, general and administrative expenses
Selling, general and administrative expenses for Q3 2018 were $42.5 million, up 4.1% compared to $40.8 million in Q3 2017. The year-over-year increase was primarily driven by incremental costs to support a larger retail store footprint as Roots added five net-new corporate retail stores since Q3 2017, as well as strategic investments to drive the long-term growth of the business. Year-over-year, marketing expense increased $0.3 million, the minimum wage increase in Ontario and Alberta accounted for an additional $0.5 million and public company costs were an incremental $0.5 million.

If sure this had nothing to do with it:
View attachment 175796
"With negative year-over-year consumer traffic for Q3 2018, our financial results for the quarter fell well below our expectations," said Jim Gabel, President and Chief Executive Officer of Roots. "We faced significant headwinds due to three main factors: a weaker brand voice in the absence of a large marketing campaign, unseasonably warm fall weather that persisted through approximately two-thirds of the quarter, and lapping one-time Canada 150-related sales recorded in Q3 2017. "

Selling, general and administrative expenses
Selling, general and administrative expenses for Q3 2018 were $42.5 million, up 4.1% compared to $40.8 million in Q3 2017. The year-over-year increase was primarily driven by incremental costs to support a larger retail store footprint as Roots added five net-new corporate retail stores since Q3 2017, as well as strategic investments to drive the long-term growth of the business. Year-over-year, marketing expense increased $0.3 million, the minimum wage increase in Ontario and Alberta accounted for an additional $0.5 million and public company costs were an incremental $0.5 million.
I think you posted this on the wrong forum. So someone can shift it over
But regarding the Roots store clousure, Retail Insider covered a story on business taxes in the core. Looks like they have since edited out their interview with Roots. What it said was Roots wasn't hiding the fact the city was to blame for their closure when they contacted their headquarters in Toronto. The property taxes were too high so they said it wasn't worth it to locate there. Im sure sales played a part in the decision but I think at a certain point they said screw it, not worth leasing where we're barely breaking even with our expenses. Heres the story by Retail Insider:
Its a cool site where they cover exclusive news on retail across Canada. Sometimes you get lead information regarding developments in Calgary.

One properties has slightly different renderings for the same project:

Are these guys the same as WAM?
What are the odds this is being built? I'd be happy to see a project of this size go up in Calgary, regardless which of the two designs will be used. It'll be a great population boost to the city core and the massive retail section will no doubt give the streets significantly more pedestrian use. Also, the design isn't amazing but it's not that bad either so it's better to at least get something rather than nothing at all.

I have had discussions with people in ONE Properties. They still intend to move forward with their 9th Ave project, however their focus is currently on the Curtis Block. It was hinted, however don't take this as anything official, that 2020 would be when more gets moving on 9th Ave.

I have had discussions with people in ONE Properties. They still intend to move forward with their 9th Ave project, however their focus is currently on the Curtis Block. It was hinted, however don't take this as anything official, that 2020 would be when more gets moving on 9th Ave.
You just let the cat out of the bag and I am officially hyped as hell for 2020.

2020 isn’t that far off, nice to see projects keep rolling along.

Noticed Google street view updated a few more streets in our city. This one pic really caught my eye. Makes u really go wow at what 4.5 years of development can do. Would have been nice if the economy didn't sink, or at least for a few more years. Makes you ponder on what EV and the Core area in general could have been right now:

May 2014:

Oct. 2018:

Last edited:
Incredible change over that amount of time.

Noticed Google street view updated a few more streets in our city. This one pic really caught my eye. Makes u really go wow at what 4.5 years of development can do. Would have been nice if the economy didn't sink, or at least for a few more years. Makes you ponder on what EV and the Core area in general could have been right now:

May 2014:

Oct. 2018:

May 2014:

Oct. 2018:

Looks like all the funding is in place now for the BMO centre expansion:

This is very exciting news! Aside from this one render that has been continuously making the rounds are there any publicly available site plans or other renders? I'm interested to see how this integrates with the existing BMO Centre and what kind of street presence (if any) it has on Olympic Way.

No other renderings, but @Bokimon mentioned that the final design will look similar to the rendering.
This is very exciting news! Aside from this one render that has been continuously making the rounds are there any publicly available site plans or other renders? I'm interested to see how this integrates with the existing BMO Centre and what kind of street presence (if any) it has on Olympic Way.

A good short read for anyone interested. Looks like the Beltline is expected to add 2500 rental and condo units over the span of a few years. Translating to roughly 4000 more residents. Great pace for a slow economy. Hopefully things kick into overdrive in the coming years and we double that number in the same span of time.

A good short read for anyone interested. Looks like the Beltline is expected to add 2500 rental and condo units over the span of a few years. Translating to roughly 4000 more residents. Great pace for a slow economy. Hopefully things kick into overdrive in the coming years and we double that number in the same span of time.

Wow that's unreal. When I moved here I never thought I'd see the day when the Beltline hit 30,000 people... now it might happen by the time I graduate ?

Excellent, and the fact that they’re starting soon is even more exciting.

Just to clarify, only Hall F is starting soon, that's the section that the Cowboys Concert tent currently occupies during stampede. The glassy expansion won't begin til 2021.

Back