News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

The location @Golfing guy was referring to is a block east of the Metro Ford location.

The WAM project is supposed to span two blocks i think

Wow, that's a big project. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the WAM project is only the one block. The one spanning 9th to 11th was something from about 6 years ago. Can't remember who was behind it, but I don't think it was WAM.

I remember discussing about the metro ford project early last year when Curtis Block was announced by One Properties. Someone here had said that the Metro Ford was renovated or extended its lease hence One Properties would not be moving forward anytime soon with the project. Would be great if they did, even if it was in phases.

Last edited:
There were two other renderings for the spot beside Lang's. The last one was kind of wonky looking, with multiple styles and materials...awkward looking... it was on this site at one time, but the image may have been linked back to Arlington's site and now they've changed it to the boutique hotel.

Here's the first iteration of the design for that location

There was a second rendering that came out not that long ago and was similar to the first iteration, but a couple of storeys taller, and more angles.

You might be thinking of the rendering for 17 ave and 5 st...there's a thai restaurant take-out restaurant on that parcel for now.

Last edited:
The new design is a major improvement over that sterile looking mega block.

There were two other renderings for the spot beside Lang's. The last one was kind of wonky looking, with multiple styles and materials...awkward looking... it was on this site at one time, but the image may have been linked back to Arlington's site and now they've changed it to the boutique hotel.

Here's the first iteration of the design for that location
View attachment 175595

There was a second rendering that came out not that long ago and was similar to the first iteration, but a couple of storeys taller, and more angles.

meh not impressed.. Looks like 4 rectangular blocks notched here and there and 'paint-bucketing' of monotonous and repetitive design of the glazing and balconies. Some massing accents and articulation of its main forms rather than varying balcony slabs would make this better. The fortress podium also looks really over powering with 1 material even though 9ave currently isnt that pedestrian friendly at that end of the core. Only thing I like are the wide sidewalks and a notch somewhere near the middle where it does open up. I have never heard of these guys but a massive block like that, there has to be a better way to achieve these design goals where each tower can be more of its own identity. Also consider the Yaya Jan project a stone throw away where if the part of the site facing closest to that project can have a more open design treatment to interplay between the two sites.

meh not impressed.. Looks like 4 rectangular blocks notched here and there and 'paint-bucketing' of monotonous and repetitive design of the glazing and balconies. Some massing accents and articulation of its main forms rather than varying balcony slabs would make this better. The fortress podium also looks really over powering with 1 material even though 9ave currently isnt that pedestrian friendly at that end of the core. Only thing I like are the wide sidewalks and a notch somewhere near the middle where it does open up. I have never heard of these guys but a massive block like that, there has to be a better way to achieve these design goals where each tower can be more of its own identity. Also consider the Yaya Jan project a stone throw away where if the part of the site facing closest to that project can have a more open design treatment to interplay between the two sites.
I sort of gotta disagree with you on that one. Yea I too think 4 of the same identical buildings with such a large size would slightly be overkill but I feel if they do execute it at-least 90% of what the renderings are showing, it'll end up looking amazing. The podium is slightly concerning but 3 or 4 of these high density, well designed projects around the downtown/beltline isn't that bad but if it becomes a trend then it would become concerning seeing we have a few more proposals already out there. I also doubt they'd execute it in one go, most likely in phases like West Village towers, so hopefully some redesigning for the later phased towers. But this is the picture that sold it for me:

Back