News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

A rendering from Arlington for a new "boutique hotel" on 17th ave. I'm happy they are keeping Lang's Grocery by the looks of things.View attachment 175242

Very nice! Just for reference, this project is called Royal Park.

Also, grabbed some stills of The Sentinel from their video. Looks pretty good actually, save for the enormous pillar.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_287b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_287b.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
For the most part looks great. The scale is perfect, and I like the look of the cubed texture. Also it would be fantastic to have a hotel in that area.
A rendering from Arlington for a new "boutique hotel" on 17th ave. I'm happy they are keeping Lang's Grocery by the looks of things.View attachment 175242

Any idea what this is? I wish the map told you more info

https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2019-0322

The application requests approval of:
  • Indoor Recreation Facility, which is an indoor athletic, recreational or leisure facility (e.g. skating rinks, swimming pools) and may have outdoor sports fields.
  • Restaurant: Licensed - Small, which is a facility with a seating area less than 75 m2, where food is prepared and served with beverages (including liquor) for consumption on-site, and minors are allowed.
#107 3851 Manchester RD SE

FYI the City responded to what this is, seems interesting!
I wish the website would just include a short description like the below.
"This is for a small restaurant which can sell alcohol and minors are always allowed in. They are also proposing an indoor mini-golf area to be included with the restaurant."

It has cachet, but still too upscale of a ground floor for 17th. Trying to be Young & Bloor.
Upper levels look interesting and hope this is a change from the mega block design from before that went to the corner.

I mean the business improvement association calls it "Uptown 17th", I'm pretty sure Young and Bloor is what they are hoping it will become.

Some good news regarding co-op redevelopments
https://calgaryherald.com/business/...n-dalhousie-and-oakridge-projects-this-summer
Both Dalhousie and Oakridge are going ahead this summer.

On a side rant, they put a pause on the Brentwood redevelopment.

Can someone remind me of the site of the Brentwood redevelopment? Nevemind, the co-op development.

I'm kind of torn, on one hand a lot of community and administration effort is put into the ARPs and they are statutory documents, so I don't think it's NIMBY to expect they might be followed, yet they are regularly ignored. But of course things change, the city changes, and communities which were suburban start to come more inner-city. I believe the current ARP is 10 years old, which is probably approaching a reasonable time to be re-evaluated which also makes it tricky.

Last edited:
I much prefer the new version of that project across the street from Tomkins Park. I'm all for this kind of intensification over mega blocks. Nice to see some of the character kept with Lang's grocery and some of the other smaller buildings.

The problem is the ARPs are never fully implemented, many of them have been made to seem like the city gives 2 cents. Live wire Calgary had a few councillors come on a podcast discussing some of these points. They were humble about admitting the guilt of not doing enough to implement their policies and plans. Part of the blame was shifted towards administration for not being consistent and aggressive enough in implementing the councillors visions/policies. I mean that would make a lot of sense. They also discussed about merging the development plans with transit plans to make 1 big final city plan. Hopefully a solid indefinite plan will fix this problem. As far as Brentwood goes, it honestly looks like a case of NIMBYism to me, a few loud folks complaining about less daylight on the park. From what I got in the ARP was that 90m was the tallest height recommended but seeing thats roughly 27 storeys, I don't see how 30 storeys would be the end of the world. Maybe Co-op can slash some of the height on the bigger tower and add it to the smaller ones. Still pretty pathetic IMO, most TODs around North America are opening up to taller skyscrapers on underused parking lots. Then you have that useless councillor Sean Chu telling reporters that the area may already have too much densification. I swear, he's just on council to vote NO.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 4.05.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 4.05.26 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 266
The problem is the ARPs are never fully implemented, many of them have been made to seem like the city gives 2 cents. Live wire Calgary had a few councillors come on a podcast discussing some of these points. They were humble about admitting the guilt of not doing enough to implement their policies and plans. Part of the blame was shifted towards administration for not being consistent and aggressive enough in implementing the councillors visions/policies. I mean that would make a lot of sense. They also discussed about merging the development plans with transit plans to make 1 big final city plan. Hopefully a solid indefinite plan will fix this problem. As far as Brentwood goes, it honestly looks like a case of NIMBYism to me, a few loud folks complaining about less daylight on the park. From what I got in the ARP was that 90m was the tallest height recommended but seeing thats roughly 27 storeys, I don't see how 30 storeys would be the end of the world. Maybe Co-op can slash some of the height on the bigger tower and add it to the smaller ones. Still pretty pathetic IMO, most TODs around North America are opening up to taller skyscrapers on underused parking lots. Then you have that useless councillor Sean Chu telling reporters that the area may already have too much densification. I swear, he's just on council to vote NO.

View attachment 175457

I would say Sean Chu is the biggest moron to grace city council with his presence, but Jeromy Farkas exists...

Back