News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Any idea what this is? I wish the map told you more info

https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2019-0322

The application requests approval of:
  • Indoor Recreation Facility, which is an indoor athletic, recreational or leisure facility (e.g. skating rinks, swimming pools) and may have outdoor sports fields.
  • Restaurant: Licensed - Small, which is a facility with a seating area less than 75 m2, where food is prepared and served with beverages (including liquor) for consumption on-site, and minors are allowed.
#107 3851 Manchester RD SE

It'd be great if Calgary was located in California or Texas. In Alberta, the only saving grace this project has is chinooks and even then I'm not sure if it'd be enough to upset the mall standing mostly empty for 4-5 months of the year minus when the gods decide Calgary should have +10-15 degree temperature during winter time. Aesthetically, looks really pretty though. The good news, if this goes bad, Calgary may win some sort of medal for most failed malls in the span of under a decade. The bad news is, if it does fail, that is one really expensive project.

It'd be great if Calgary was located in California or Texas. In Alberta, the only saving grace this project has is chinooks and even then I'm not sure if it'd be enough to upset the mall standing mostly empty for 4-5 months of the year minus when the gods decide Calgary should have +10-15 degree temperature during winter time. Aesthetically, looks really pretty though. The good news, if this goes bad, Calgary may win some sort of medal for most failed malls in the span of under a decade. The bad news is, if it does fail, that is one really expensive project.

I've been across Canada and big box parking lots are full on any weekend. It will be location should this one fail.

The phrase that best describes it is: 'it is what it is'
It's not my type of place, but it'll probably do okay. Crossiron is thriving, and that whole area to the north is really expanding. Airdrie is still growing at a decent clip and probably always will. My big concern is the infrastructure cost. It's in Rockyview's MD, so they collect the taxes, but how will it affect Calgary's infrastructure?
Also not sure who will be managing the mall. Genesis has done development before, but I expect that they will have the mall portion managed by someone else? Crossiron is doing well, but is owned by an experienced mall operator.

mta_genesis_omni_dusk-e1530141577102.jpg
view-3_plaza_02-1_65112244.jpg

Last edited:
Another 'destination' mall on the NE outskirts of the city?? How much more new retail can this city support given all of the malls that are failing within the city? There are 'for lease' signs everywhere. I am genuinely amazed by the continued investment in 'bricks & mortar' with the growing trend towards on-line purchasing.

@Atticus, @Thewanderer

CP Rail is in charge. They have adamantly opposed overpasses and level crossings across Canada. A temporary level crossing at 10th or a pedestrian overpass at 11th could be held up in negotiations for years. They are assholes.

I don't think this was reported anywhere. One Properties has acquired the Sunnyside Garden Centre site and adjacent lands and they are planning another massive development. The rental houses that were on the adjacent parcel were built by the original owner of Sunnyside for rental purposes, and they have all been recently torn down.

Don't you know that everyone can't help themselves from throwing rocks at passing trains. A full cage on a pedestrian overpass iwould be required. It would still face more resistance than an underpass

Back