News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I have a friend who lives in Stella and gets super annoyed whenever the train blocks 11th street, so she always calls 311 when it happens. They told her there are no current intentions at the moment of creating an underpass on 11th. In fact, the next underpass will be 6th Street SE.
Trains stopped (or moving back and forth) on tracks blocking traffic is a problem in many parts of the city. Try going to work or coming home around 11 St SE/Dartmouth Rd/26 Ave, I have been 'parked' for 20 minutes or more at times. The city has no control over train activity. The only solution is underpasses/overpasses which they can't build everywhere as they are very costly. I am kind of surprised to hear that 6th St SE is planned, as the last underpass I believe, was 4 St SE and that one is under-utilized on a daily basis. I guess they are planning for the immense development in The Rivers district but that could be years away.

The 4St E underpass is there to link Vic Park and EV, and to allow people leaving events at the Dome or Stampede another way to get out of the area. I definitely think 11St SW needs an underpass before 6St SE though, it's insane to me that trains can block a major downtown street in rush hour. If the city needs any incentive to build that underpass, the video showing people climbing over the stopped train there should be more than enough.

Yes, same guy. I Haven't spent much time at SSP in a while, there's nothing there. Funny thing, I used to be a supporter of SSP and resisted the idea of coming to skyrise. lol. Anyway enough about SSP, I like it here, and like the way it's run by Surreal. Also like the contributions from people.
Thanks! And Welcome!

I agree on the need for the 11th street underpass before 6th. 4th was needed and us good, but one at 6th is overkill.

Am I missing something here? They city seriously wants to put an interchange at 5th street SE - one block east of where they already have an underpass? I must be missing something, because to me that makes no sense at all.

I think its fine to prioritize further connecting the East Village and Railtown as, hopefully, that is where a lot of growth will take place in the next 5 to 10 years. There's too many places where a pedestrian or full roadway could be used in bridging the gap. I wish the city had a more aggressive timeline.

I don't mind NIMBYs providing they don't captain the ship. The settlements between NIMBYs and developers are almost always positive compared to the original concepts or in situations developers have free reign.

I think its fine to prioritize further connecting the East Village and Railtown as, hopefully, that is where a lot of growth will take place in the next 5 to 10 years. There's too many places where a pedestrian or full roadway could be used in bridging the gap. I wish the city had a more aggressive timeline.
Agreed, it's great to have more connections between EV/Railtown/Vic Park, but having a good connection at 11th street is more important. I'm guessing the city isn't looking at 11th st right now because it is already an at grade crossing, but with the amount of pedestrians who use it I think it should be put ahead of the 5th street crossing.

An inadequate grade crossing is better than none. Adding a new underpass between 8th and 11th will be more convenient than building an underpass at 11th. The 11th street crossing doesn't have to be closed for any period of time to build it.

Maybe a compromise of having buildings no taller than 2, possibly 3 floors will keep residents happy, and at the same time allow for a decent corridor.
14 St is a major artery which is on the border of Mount Royal. I don't now how residents of that community should even have that much of a say. If you bought a house just east of 14th, you had to expect that there would be future development along there at some point.
I'm sure it would be the same arguments we always see in established communities, too tall, would cause too much traffic, would lower property values....

An inadequate grade crossing is better than none. Adding a new underpass between 8th and 11th will be more convenient than building an underpass at 11th. The 11th street crossing doesn't have to be closed for any period of time to build it.
11St has a Ctrain station on it at 7Ave, 11th is one of the busiest N-S crossings now because of it, that street should be far and away the #1 priority for an underpass.

Last edited:
Am I missing something here? They city seriously wants to put an interchange at 5th street SE - one block east of where they already have an underpass? I must be missing something, because to me that makes no sense at all.

I think it had something to do with having acceptable grades for the road

completely, could it be 5st is funded but theres no budget for 11st and probably not even on the radar for funding?

Back