News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Another Inglewood one with a bit more information. The rezoning application was made in 2018:

An open house was held in late January, with information here:
View attachment 174689
View attachment 174690

From the Inglwood CA newsletter:
The specs of this Hungerford Properties proposal are:
5 units of retail, 140 residential units, start at 6 storeys in
the east (brick face), 9 storeys (set back cement face) to 11
storeys (37.5 m. (123’), steel face in the west),
Regulation height is 31 m. in the disputed May draft ARP,
supposedly able to build higher through a heritage density
transfer from the Apothecary, which they own;
designed for young people and empty nesters with 20%
studio, 35% 1 bdrm., 20% 1 bdrm. + den, 25% 2 bdrm.,
120 parking stalls, 7 commercial stalls and
5 FAR with 1 FAR coming from heritage transfer.

It's kind of a shame that Inglewood is losing it's last bookstore.

The development looks promising!

Hopefully Fair's Fair relocates somewhere close if this goes through!

I will give that Esker Gallery patron an A+ for commitment if he buys up another lot to preserve the view.

Last edited:
Interesting. I actually just bought a unit in the McGill Block cross the street, and I was wondering if there would be be any development happening on that site at some point. I haven't been enamoured with the larger-scale projects along 9th ave as they tend to be a bit oppressive feeling from the street. Hopefully this one is a bit friendlier from that perspective. Some setbacks wouldn't hurt.
That's a nice building. Is the inside as nice as the outside?

That's a nice building. Is the inside as nice as the outside?

I wouldn't say it's anything architecturally special, but it's in good solid shape. The units are on the smaller side, but have nice tallish ceilings. Definitely nowhere near as sexy as some heritage buildings in the Beltline, but the price and condo fees are also much more reasonable. Personally, I liked it mostly for the location, and the fact that my unit is a bit of a renovation blank sale.

It was built by a Titanic survivor (although must've been before, as its from 1911) and converted to condos by Jack Long at one point (80s I believe) So it has some nice local history.

I wouldn't say it's anything architecturally special, but it's in good solid shape. The units are on the smaller side, but have nice tallish ceilings. Definitely nowhere near as sexy as some heritage buildings in the Beltline, but the price and condo fees are also much more reasonable. Personally, I liked it mostly for the location, and the fact that my unit is a bit of a renovation blank sale.

It was built by a Titanic survivor (although must've been before, as its from 1911) and converted to condos by Jack Long at one point (80s I believe) So it has some nice local history.
Definitely some interesting local history. The Titanic survivor was a guy name Albert Dick, who built it as the Alexandria hotel and legend has it locals had boycotted the Alexandria hotel because he had survived when other women and children had died in the Titanic disaster. I believe he then sold it.

The owner is retiring, so the bookstore was unfortunately going to go either way.
It's kind of a shame that Inglewood is losing it's last bookstore.

The development looks promising!
Hopefully Fair's Fair relocates somewhere close if this goes through!

I will give that Esker Gallery patron an A+ for commitment if he buys up another lot to preserve the view.

One for Bridgeland:

The Bridgeland Complex Care Centre, a $130 million dollar project by AHS:

Some good news regarding co-op redevelopments
https://calgaryherald.com/business/...n-dalhousie-and-oakridge-projects-this-summer
Both Dalhousie and Oakridge are going ahead this summer.

On a side rant, they put a pause on the Brentwood redevelopment. Apparently the height is really triggerring the locals. "The community is in favour of having development that would enhance the community. This is not a NIMBY situation where we are saying ‘no development,’ Swailes said. 'But the development needs to adhere to the guidelines that are laid out in that area redevelopment plan.'"
IMO this exactly what NIMBY's tend to say. I was really hopeful of another high rise node popping up on a large parking lot next to a LRT station. Recently visited Vancouver again and its really shocking how aggressive their highrise nodes are all over the greater Vancouver area. Really made me think what in the heck are we doing? If you can't build a 30 storey tower in such an ideal location outside of downtown, then where the heck are you suppose to build one? I think at this rate you gotta treat these sort of developments like ripping off a band aid, just start pushing a couple 30 storey towers with limited consultations through around the city, let people cause an outrage for a few months then they'll eventually shut up and call it quits. ?

It has cachet, but still too upscale of a ground floor for 17th. Trying to be Young & Bloor.
Upper levels look interesting and hope this is a change from the mega block design from before that went to the corner.

Back