News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Covid-19

That's funny you mention ToolShed, that's the last place I worked regularly. Was a bartender in their tap room.

Everyone that is worried about being eligible - apply for a temporary job at calgary co-op. https://calgarycoop.mua.hrdepartment.com/hrdepartment/ats/Posting/view/2512

Any work at all can help you qualify for different mish-mashes of benefits.

Also, the feds should have a benefit targeted at youth announced next week - I bet to handle people transitioning from school to seasonal unemployment.

Hey gang! Thought I'd try and change the mood around here with some cringey inspirational shit. ?

/cvg/ - Corona Virus General Advice

1. Get into a routine. Don't wake up whenever you want. Get dressed normally, shower, shave. Don't walk around in your PJ's all day like a degenerate. Set a bedtime and stick to it.

2. Exercise daily. There's a shit ton of YT videos on home exercises without weights.

3. Video chat with your friends/family. Don't neglect your social skills or become a loner/shut-in.

4. Go outside and get fresh air and sunshine. Vitamin D is good for you.

5. If you can't work from home, read a good book or take up a hobby. There's still electricity and internet.

6. Try your best to be a good neighbor. It's tough when you're socially isolating, bu try and find a way to talk to people in your apartment or on your street somehow.

Realize that to live is to struggle. Really internalize this truth in your being and actions and when possible spread it to others that you care about. The modern world is a world that goes completely against nature and the results are telling. It's tearing itself apart. Nevertheless, you, as an individual, can always choose to go against the flow and struggle and persevere while the rest of society rots and withers away. It's not an easy path, but you go on because you know that you are in the right and that in the end you will be vindicated. Live to live your life correctly and that will bring happiness to yourself and those around you.

1585054081038.png

And remember...our ancestors lived through mush harder times than we are experiencing now.

1585054257936.jpg

Good news Chad, some protections are being put in place for renters in situations like yourself. Likely to see them extended before all is said and done as well.

Good news Chad, some protections are being put in place for renters in situations like yourself. Likely to see them extended before all is said and done as well.

Thanks man. My family is helping cover rent, but that only goes so far. I hate that they are even doing it, but obviously can't turn down... survival haha ? The government package would have done the trick, and kept me hopeful and motivated that I can weather this thing. My family can only help until May. This will be going on longer than that.

Well hopefully by May we can start to roll back some of the closures and allow larger gatherings again. All the science seems to indicate that this is going to come in waves, so this may be our 2020. Don't want to even imagine the economic devastation that will wreak.

A slight roll back on closures wouldn't help anyone who wasn't employed prior to this, like not a single one. It will only allow some of the people who have been laid off to not be laid off anymore. You are right though, this is likely to be our entire 2020, possibly into 2021 as well.

Was just called by Alberta Works, who I've been trying to get in contact with for weeks, and they confirmed that because I'm a student being "supported" by student loans (they barely support shit, by the way), I am not eligible for a shred of support from either level of government. Why the fuck would they call people who aren't eligible first thing in the morning? Like "Hey good morning here's a sucker punch in the mouth and a kick square in the balls ok byeeee". Jesus.

Everyone that is worried about being eligible - apply for a temporary job at calgary co-op. https://calgarycoop.mua.hrdepartment.com/hrdepartment/ats/Posting/view/2512

Any work at all can help you qualify for different mish-mashes of benefits.

Also, the feds should have a benefit targeted at youth announced next week - I bet to handle people transitioning from school to seasonal unemployment.

Thanks for posting that, just applied. Applied to a bunch of other places Thursday too.

I was thinking the virus spreading would die down after 3-4 weeks of this, but I'm thinking it might be more like 8-10 weeks. Why do I think that? I still some non-essential businesses aren't closing, and I see some people aren't properly protecting themselves from getting it or spreading it. For example I see buses passing by my place all the time, and more than one occasion I've seen a mostly empty bus with a half dozen people in it, but some of the people will be sitting in the seat right behind someone else!

Well hopefully by May we can start to roll back some of the closures and allow larger gatherings again. All the science seems to indicate that this is going to come in waves, so this may be our 2020. Don't want to even imagine the economic devastation that will wreak.

While I’ve been working at sait off and on last couple weeks I have been working right beside the train stop, trains there have been ghost towns with 12-15 people over the entire train so they have been spread out quite well.

Hey gang! Thought I'd try and change the mood around here with some cringey inspirational shit. ?

/cvg/ - Corona Virus General Advice

1. Get into a routine. Don't wake up whenever you want. Get dressed normally, shower, shave. Don't walk around in your PJ's all day like a degenerate. Set a bedtime and stick to it.

2. Exercise daily. There's a shit ton of YT videos on home exercises without weights.

3. Video chat with your friends/family. Don't neglect your social skills or become a loner/shut-in.

4. Go outside and get fresh air and sunshine. Vitamin D is good for you.

5. If you can't work from home, read a good book or take up a hobby. There's still electricity and internet.

6. Try your best to be a good neighbor. It's tough when you're socially isolating, bu try and find a way to talk to people in your apartment or on your street somehow.

Realize that to live is to struggle. Really internalize this truth in your being and actions and when possible spread it to others that you care about. The modern world is a world that goes completely against nature and the results are telling. It's tearing itself apart. Nevertheless, you, as an individual, can always choose to go against the flow and struggle and persevere while the rest of society rots and withers away. It's not an easy path, but you go on because you know that you are in the right and that in the end you will be vindicated. Live to live your life correctly and that will bring happiness to yourself and those around you.

1585054081038.png

And remember...our ancestors lived through mush harder times than we are experiencing now.

1585054257936.jpg
SJ, this is a great post. Frankly, I'm not sure we will make it through this financially. All I can hope for is the family gets out of this with good health. But looking ahead, we're helping out neighbors, and binge watching Ozark. Your point about taking up hobbies is excellent. I'm taking courses, (while breaking periodically from navigating through government applications), on trying to make my self more marketable with other architectural tools, learning about parametric design, which I had zip experience in. I'm trying to keep the stress at bay, and the brain active. I'm revisiting old projects I've been involved in, and applying my tutorials to play with the "what if"
FCC1 -CONCEPT REBOOT-A.jpg

This is an FCC-1 reboot...just applying an idea. (Rhino and Grasshopper). Stay tuned to other stuff you guys can laugh at! Stay positive everyone, and stay safe!

Binge watched Ozark (good show) now I need to find another show or hobby. @Beazley66's post inspired me to get back into maybe getting back into 3D Studio Max.
The gal and I burned through the first season of Ozark in two nights before I came to work. Great show so far, looking forward to season 2 when I get home. Until then I have Vikings seasons 4-6 to watch, another show I'd recommend.

Back