News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Covid-19

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
Cases are starting to pile up here now, don't think we have any community transmission here YET, but we certainly will. If you can stay home I would suggest it, limit your exposure and avoid large crowds. I'm in my late 30's so I'll be fine, but my grandmas are in their 80s so they likely won't even receive help if the virus hits us like it's hit Italy.

It's indicative of how lucky we are here that it's taken this long to have a thread about this. I am young, so not too worried, and looking at the United States, or even a better example being Germany, there isn't that much of a danger. I am mostly nervous that school will be shutdown and I won't get to finish fourth year because of panic. I'm nervous for my Grandma, but she has known for weeks how to keep herself safe, and hasn't been isolating yet but is considering it.

For sure, there needs to be some strict guidelines for the elderly and the infirm. Both how they interact with friends/family or just the public, and vice versa. This is the demographic that is most at risk. That to me would mitigate much of the spread and potential deaths.
No one wants to see this get to the point like it has in China or Italy where it is total lockdown. We should be able to avoid it

I feel like as long as people think it's a problem in Europe or Asia, we aren't going to fare much better. If people take it seriously, then we can mitigate the risk and avoid a crisis. I'm not confident, people in NA are quite naive (hoarding TP being a great example lol)

I’m sure it’s up here in Fort McMurray by now as well with all the fly in fly out. Thousands living in camps/riding buses. Going to be a right mess. Our health centre can’t handle anything remotely serious, which would mean sending people 5 hours south to Edmonton. I’ve already severely limited my out and about time and have stocked my condo well enough to hole up for a month. Fortunately I can mostly work from home.

I’m sure it’s up here in Fort McMurray by now as well with all the fly in fly out. Thousands living in camps/riding buses. Going to be a right mess. Our health centre can’t handle anything remotely serious, which would mean sending people 5 hours south to Edmonton. I’ve already severely limited my out and about time and have stocked my condo well enough to hole up for a month. Fortunately I can mostly work from home.
I work down 881, FIFO. Every shuttle coming to camp is now dropping off everyone at the medic side of the camp where they fill out a questionnaire in regards to recent travel and possibility of being sick. They then get their body temp. measured and if all good can proceed to check in.

A week or so ago I thought the situation was something blown out of proportion by the media, and that it would be a repeat of the H1N1 situation, but this seems different. This feels like new territory.

The challenge is to prevent this exponential upswing from happening as long as possible:

covid.jpg

It was finally serious and proper address to the Country, instead of the flippant dismissal he’s had to date all while making a show of continuing to shake hands with crowds of people.
He actually looked sick himself. He kept running out of air. Made me go hmmmmm.

The challenge is to prevent this exponential upswing from happening as long as possible:

View attachment 236144
It's actually less about delaying it and more about reducing the slope once it does happen, so that the health care system isn't overrun, as in the figure below.

Covid-19-curves-graphic-social-v3.gif

The space above the line labeled "healthcare system capacity" is the space where people who would normally recover from the disease with treatment die unnecessarily because that treatment isn't available to everyone.

A kid in a daycare in the Suncor tower tested positive. It wasn't at the actual daycare but the kid was there as recently as last week.

I see Trump has banned all travel from Europe to the U.S. starting Friday.
He bumbled that announcement. Also said the ban would include goods and cargo from Europe ... which made no sense to me ... but then took it back in a tweet an hour later. Then Homeland Security said it was not all out ban just certain countries in Europe and that U.S. citizens could still fly back ... how? ... when the airlines will surely cancel all flights to and from Europe when there is no demand.
To exclude the U.K, also made no sense. London is a major gateway and transportation hub from Europe into North American. He clearly did that as a signal to his bud, Boris Johnson, that 'we are not picking on the U.K'
All of these announcements were without consultation with European leaders. It is no wonder the markets are in a complete free fall with all this confusion.

Back