News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Covid-19

I hope everyone is safe and sound. Just found out that my company extended working fro home until the end of May. I'm already going stir crazy, should be interesting. That said, I'm thankful to still be working given the situation. I hope everything pans out for those not working right now.

On a positive note, Alberta's case numbers seem to be flattening out now, following the same pattern as BC. Let's hope that trend continues.
We all just have to keep doing our part! My job can not be done from home but doing what I can to limit exposure to people. Can be difficult depending on the site.

Agreed. Not everyone can isolate completely, but people can still do their best, like avoiding unnecessary interactions with others. I'm still seeing examples on social media of people gathering unnecessarily. I find it really annoying as the longer this goes on, the worse it is for others, and the longer the risk is for people who are forced to be exposed to others during this time.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is going to take a vaccine to finally stop it. I think the physical distancing and working from home self isolating is helping from overloading the health care system, but maybe it's not enough to actually get rid of it. It's a difficult virus to get rid of and I'm still seeing and hearing examples of people not taking it seriously enough.
If a vaccine isn't found we might have to have some kind of martial law , with a complete nobody allowed outside of their house for two weeks unless an emergency.

I was never under the impression we were trying to stop it/could stop it. Just slow it down enough to not overwhelm our healthcare system and give more time to learn more effective treatment. I would think it will have run through most of the population by the time there is a vaccine.

Island nations such as New Zealand might eradicate it until a vaccine is available if they are willing to completely shut off access to everyone and everything in the outside world.

I was never under the impression we were trying to stop it/could stop it. Just slow it down enough to not overwhelm our healthcare system and give more time to learn more effective treatment. I would think it will have run through most of the population by the time there is a vaccine.
Unfortunately being a new virus there have been many unknowns from the start. I know a lot of people who felt that isolating and proper washing of hands etc.. would eventually stop the virus, but as Surreal mentioned, it does't appear that's going to be the case.

Island nations such as New Zealand might eradicate it until a vaccine is available if they are willing to completely shut off access to everyone and everything in the outside world.
And it doesn't have to be an island country, just a country who's willing to tackle it hard. Slovakia for example, has gone at it hard, closing off their borders, making anyone leaving the house wear masks, and using the army to enforce rules around the corona virus, and their numbers are low. Low enough it looks like they can actually eradicate it.
For us to to eradicate will involve losing more freedoms and have to clamp down even harder. I know lots of Canadians think they've lost some freedoms already, but it's it's really a joke. Still way too many people here in Canada who aren't taking it seriously, and that's why it won't be eradicated any time soon.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to wonder if this is going to take a vaccine to finally stop it. I think the physical distancing and working from home self isolating is helping from overloading the health care system, but maybe it's not enough to actually get rid of it. It's a difficult virus to get rid of and I'm still seeing and hearing examples of people not taking it seriously enough.
If a vaccine isn't found we might have to have some kind of martial law , with a complete nobody allowed outside of their house for two weeks unless an emergency.
In theory forcing everyone into complete lockdown for 2-3 weeks should kill off the virus. I'm not sure if that's even possible, but one thing for sure is if a vaccine isn't found, this virus will continue to spread, and people will continue to die. Especially now that they are finding cases where people who previously had it are testing positive a second time. Also, worrisome is more cases of younger people dying from it.

That's my worry. It could be several months before they find a medication to help control it, or a vaccine to prevent it. The vaccine seems like the only hope, as some people are getting again a second time. Not to mention the possibility of never finding a vaccine for it which would be a major issue. If this keeps going on without significant improvement there may need to be a complete lockdown as Tarsus suggested.

With how the virus is still accelerating, I definitely think we will need a vaccine, it's not going to just go away like SARS did.

I'm still working from home, not a bad deal, just have to be more diligent about separating domestic tasks from work lol.

self isolation defined.... in Pearce estate this morning, while walking the dog
self isolating.JPG

Looks like the numbers in Italy and Spain and Germany have been going down, so that's good news. Maybe we just need to wait it out some more. It's looking like new cases aren't going to stop, so maybe we just get it to a point where the spread is low and some sectors can come back to work again.

From the Economist:

For all the excitement it generated, the STAT report was little more than a leaked conversation between doctors. It revolved around a trial at the University of Chicago with 125 patients, mostly severely ill with covid-19. One of the doctors is reported as saying that most of the patients had been discharged and only two had died. But even if this is correct, the lack of a placebo group makes it hard to assess the real worth of the drug. The University of Chicago itself warned that drawing any conclusions was "premature and scientifically unsound".

Me vs. my classes after they all moved online. ?

CPblHNA.gif

Back