• So So

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi Group.,

Will the Marriot Name B Going on the Hotel as Well? After all They Have Their Name at the Site on Center St S.E. I Can Presume that Site Could Change Hands as is Often Happens When Hotels Build More Hotels in Any Given City. Imterestng to See What Happens.

Thanks,
Operater.

Marriott builds very few hotels. This one is being built by Silverbirch Hotels. You shouldn't think that a hotel has sold when it changes brands. It just means the licensing contract wasn't renewed for that brand. Marriott has dozens of brands as well. You can have a dozen Marriott branded hotels in downtown Calgary and not one will be the same.

I am not usually a fan of tall residential towers, but I would like to see at least one big, tall ass residential tower for Calgary. I think we should make it 70 floors :cool:

Hell yeah! :D

Marriott is pushing 11 floors now.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    895.5 KB · Views: 321
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 312
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 379
I honestly keep forgetting about this one. I think it's up until now it's presence really hasn't been felt on the skyline. I'm really looking forward to seeing it rise. It'll really at weight to the south side of the skyline.

I am not usually a fan of tall residential towers, but I would like to see at least one big, tall ass residential tower for Calgary. I think we should make it 70 floors :cool:

With the rising inner city density evident in the density figures, maybe the time's getting right. :D The Guardian(s) must the be the tallest purely residential towers and only Sky will have taller residential units. Maybe we'll see something come along if the current wave doesn't soak up all the excess capacity.

As an aside, man do I need to make friends with someone who bought in Sky. Those views are going to be unreal. In an actually so real it'll be hyper-real sort of way. I think I know where I want to retire to now...

Last edited:
I honestly keep forgetting about this one. I think it's up until now it's presence really hasn't been felt on the skyline. I'm really looking forward to seeing it rise. It'll really at weight to the south side of the skyline.

With the rising inner city density evident in the density figures, maybe the time's getting right. :D The Guardian(s) must the be the tallest purely residential towers and only Sky will have taller residential units. Maybe we'll see something come along if the current wave doesn't soak up all the excess capacity.

As an aside, man do I need to make friends with someone who bought in Sky. Those views are going to be unreal. In an actually so real it'll be hyper-real sort of way. I think I know where I want to retire to now...

It would take a large site to pull off a 70 storey tower. Max density in the Beltline is something like 8 times land area. Bonusing would only push it a little higher. Developers are pretty conservative. They only build the floor space required to make their margin. Dropping property values means less floor space needed.

The Guardians' density is distributed over the entire Arriva site. It's a big block.

You could do 70 floors at that location if desired, Max FAR for that parcel is 12.

Max far varies around the Beltine ranging from 4-12, but it's 12 along most of the tracks. Max far is 9 where Guardian is.

It would take a large site to pull off a 70 storey tower. Max density in the Beltline is something like 8 times land area. Bonusing would only push it a little higher. Developers are pretty conservative. They only build the floor space required to make their margin. Dropping property values means less floor space needed.

The Guardians' density is distributed over the entire Arriva site. It's a big block.

Last edited:
Didn't say you couldn't. It would take a sizable block. It doesn't make much economic sense to build a 70 storey tower on a block that can easily accommodate two towers. A developer can cash out years ahead of the time it takes to build a 70 storey tower with two 35 storeys towers.

Technically Guardian could be one 88 storey tower instead of 2 x 44 storey towers and the FAR should be the same, but the economics change.... Same for office towers...Calgary would have a few supertalls by now if they they went with one tall building instead of twins.

I was kidding around because it's exactly what I said.

Economics defines what gets built. The current max FAR in the Beltline doesn't support 70 storey residential towers. That doesn't mean impossible. It's just extremely unlikely for a situation to present itself. I'm not one to hold to glimmers of hope.

40 plus storey is really pushing how high you can stretch 8 to 12 FAR. The Guardian with the sizable heritage component and the unbuilt 4th Arriva tower offered a unique situation to stack two 44 storey towers very close together. It's not coincidental that skinny point towers on large one to two storey podiums have become more popular as heights have topped 30 storeys.

The Marriott is about the densest you can build in the Beltline. Both towers are in the mid 30 storey range sitting on a 4/5 storey podium that is about twice as large as the footprint of the combined towers.

Ah, I missed out on the kidding around part.

Skyscraper nerds love technicalities, and thus the thought that technically there could be a 70 story tower on that lot. That might not be the case, as I haven't worked out the math, but as far as it relates to FAR, you could do at lest 60-70 floors, economics aside.

Telus Sky is rentals only.

Back