5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

Calgary International Airport

WestJet announced the name of their new Ultra Low Cost Carrier (ULCC), Swoop:

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/meet-swoop-648165093.html

"The name Swoop denotes exactly what we plan to do," said Bob Cummings WestJet Executive Vice-President, Strategy and the executive member responsible for the launch of Swoop. "It's a powerful verb that demonstrates we plan to swoop in to the Canadian market with a new business model that will provide lower fares and greater opportunity for more Canadians to travel."

It will be headquartered here in Calgary.

pyMA9zK.jpg

Beat me to it! I don't know if care for the name. The style of the livery is okay, but also not sure of the color.

download.jpg

la-trb-wow-airlines-iceland-20160112.jpg
Along with our friends from Iceland..

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 338
  • la-trb-wow-airlines-iceland-20160112.jpg
    la-trb-wow-airlines-iceland-20160112.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 322
Haha, discount carriers always have the worst names.

Unrelated, there's an interesting story about a plane named the "City of Calgary" in the Herald. It's a 747 flown by KLM and it's never actually been to it's namesake city. People are petitioning to have it come before it's retired. As a fan of both our city and of KLM I'd love to see that.

I suspect we'll be 4th for a while, as YUL has been increasing steadily with Air Canada focusing a lot on them. If the economy ever gets back to the boom stage, maybe we can claim third place again. Who knows. We'll see what happens with Swoop, as the hub will be Calgary to start with, that could also have an effect on traffic at YYC.

Solid numbers. In a time like this a 3% increase YTD is very positive.
August statistics are now up on the YYC website:

5.2% increase versus August 2016
Domestic increase 5.2%
Transborder increase 4.4%
International increase 7.2%

Year to Date now 3.19% up.

Airport must be 'way better welcome mat' for Calgary and region, CEO says

http://calgaryherald.com/business/l...r-welcome-mat-for-calgary-and-region-ceo-says

When it comes to a third big irritant — long walks between connections — the CEO said “that’s part of the price to pay” for having an international airport he argued offers more direct flights than most North American cities of Calgary’s size.

While the airport is installing more moving walkways and has deployed a shuttle to ferry international travellers, Sartor said passengers must recognize that the Calgary airport isn’t any bigger than Vancouver’s.

“The reality is, we are not a giant airport,” he said.

Last edited:

Back