Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Hi,
I will B most Interested to see how they will Bld Under the C.P. Tracks, 9th Ave and Down 2nd Street to go Out to Centre Street and Up to Cresent Heights. It Won't
Come Easy and I Take it, It will B very Expensive to Bld. Your TAX $1s at Work.

Tnx,
Operater.

Hi,
I will B most Interested to see how they will Bld Under the C.P. Tracks, 9th Ave and Down 2nd Street to go Out to Centre Street and Up to Cresent Heights. It Won't
Come Easy and I Take it, It will B very Expensive to Bld. Your TAX $1s at Work.

Tnx,
Operater.

Isn't it just being put in a tunnel deep enough to not disrupt these things?

Yes, but they still have to disrupt 12 Avenue partially because of the construction of Centre Street South Station.

Yes, but they still have to disrupt 12 Avenue partially because of the construction of Centre Street South Station.

I lived in Vancouver when Canada Line was being built and the stations downtown were cut and cover while the line was tunneled. Or least the City Centre one was.

Yeah exactly, that's what I was saying is going to happen here. The portion from 16 Avenue Station through to the portal in Vic Park will be tunnelled, while stations will be built.... the same way all stations are built :p . The tunnel is quite deep, so that's the only option I see.

Hi,
Bldg Under the C P Rail & 9th Ave, Won't B easy. There are 4 Tracks plus the Connections B 4 9th Ave. Honestly I will B interested to see how 2hd Street plus the
LRT on 7th Ave Progresses, No Easy JOBS by Any Means.

Tnx,
Operater.

Hi,
Bldg Under the C P Rail & 9th Ave, Won't B easy. There are 4 Tracks plus the Connections B 4 9th Ave. Honestly I will B interested to see how 2hd Street plus the
LRT on 7th Ave Progresses, No Easy JOBS by Any Means.

Tnx,
Operater.
You do realize that they will be tunnelling deep enough through downtown to be hardly disturbing the streets above, not only that but the will be deep enough so that they are still able move the Red Line into a subway tunnel under 8th street, If you Google "how subways tunnels are dug" you can see that they usually use a boring machine.

You do realize that they will be tunnelling deep enough through downtown to be hardly disturbing the streets above, not only that but the will be deep enough so that they are still able move the Red Line into a subway tunnel under 8th street, If you Google "how subways tunnels are dug" you can see that they usually use a boring machine.

I don't really see how this would be any different than tunneling anywhere else. People brought up things about water tables with the river but humans have been tunneling underwater for centuries.

Not necessarily Green Line related, but found these pics while Googling LRT tunnels for Calgary. It's the roughed in Station under city hall.

From Barp.ca

download1.jpg
download2.jpg
download3.jpg
download4.jpg

Attachments

• download1.jpg
    download1.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 513
  • download2.jpg
    download2.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 502
  • download3.jpg
    download3.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 536
  • download4.jpg
    download4.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 516
It isn't a roughed in station, it is a roughed in space for a 4 track LRT crossover/junction which is why it is so wide.

There used to be a map on the internet from the plan that led to the Arts Commons, Olympic Plaza and the Civic complex in the 80s which showed something like this, but couldn't find it:
upload_2018-8-29_15-22-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-29_15-22-24.png
    upload_2018-8-29_15-22-24.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 764
Does anyone remember hearing about a roughed in station at Bankers Hall? Not so much a roughed in station but a roughed in space...supposedly they have been using it as an amphitheater, but was designed to either be a station or potentially tie into one.

Does anyone remember hearing about a roughed in station at Bankers Hall? Not so much a roughed in station but a roughed in space...supposedly they have been using it as an amphitheater, but was designed to either be a station or potentially tie into one.
Yes, there is the one under Bankers Hall thats been sort of repurposed into the ampitheatre thats accessible via the ground floor of the shopping centre, then theres also that one thats under city hall too but i could be wrong.

It isn't a roughed in station, it is a roughed in space for a 4 track LRT crossover/junction which is why it is so wide.

There used to be a map on the internet from the plan that led to the Arts Commons, Olympic Plaza and the Civic complex in the 80s which showed something like this, but couldn't find it:
View attachment 154994
Saying that the Red Line does get moved underground in the foreseeable future, what are they going to do with the tunnel part of the NCL? seems like a bit of a hole in the planning, maybe they could shove a McDonalds in there who knows.

Yes, of course I realize that, that's basically what I said :p

Saying that the Red Line does get moved underground in the foreseeable future, what are they going to do with the tunnel part of the NCL? seems like a bit of a hole in the planning, maybe they could shove a McDonalds in there who knows.
I think it will need to be retained to allow a transfer of cars between the lines.

Back