Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Hi Group,

Yes Calgary Transit took a Big Hit on the Floods in 2013. Impacted was the Tunnel just south of Earlton Station, that Bridge/Right of Way north of the Station Plus the Tunnel Under C.P. Rail, City Hall Basement/Parking took a Big Hit plus the VPTC Bldg. {Flood Plain). May have been considered as To Expensive but Flooding sure changed things Quickly.

Tnx,
Operater.

Hi Group,
I wasn't Going to say much - Yet, but would B interested in Hearing what Others have to say about the Green Line being CUT in Half to about 20 Kms. For Me Its a BIG Disappointment. Anyone Else feel the same way?

Tnx,
Operater.

It's a disappointment for sure. I kind of got the impression that the real push for the Green Line was to serve the sub-urban communities of North and SE Calgary, so it's kind of a surprise that they've been dropped. On the other hand, as a non-resident of those areas it doesn't affect me beyond saying that I wouldn't consider moving to either part of the city without the train line. The good is that 20km is a lot of train, and I'd rather have that underway and the rest phased in rather than wait around to do the whole thing in one shot. The city has a long history of phasing in the train lines, so I think it will all work out in the end.

It does seem like there's some low hanging fruit in extending to MacKenzie Towne and Centre North of 16th Ave. I hope we'll see those progress not to long after the initial phase.

One thing I was really hoping to get out of a potential Olympic Bid was an airport spur line. The Green being cut short could impact that too. At least a spur from the Blue Line is still possible.

Part of me is really starting to wonder if the impending autonomous revolution is going to put a serious freeze on future C-Train development. It almost sounds crazy to say, but by the time the first phase is done we could be on the cusp of a new world.

Last edited:
People might not agree with me on this, but I'm okay, and maybe even happy with the shortening. I've always wanted to see the LRT as a more of an urban transportation system and less of a suburban commuter train. My only wish would be to push the line at least one or maybe two stops further north, as you could easily increase development along Centre street, and the cost would be fairly insignificant I would think.

Eventually the line would be phased in anyway, but having it shorter allows developers and the city an opportunity to better, serve, grow and leverage inner city densities.

Hi Group,
There are TWO Videos on U Tube, One is about 10.5 Minutes, the Other is 16 Minutes Produced by the City of Calgary on the Green Line. YES I Liked Them a Lot because
They were well done and the Neighbourhoods/Industrial/Commercial were areas I am well familiar with from my Days as a Courier. My knowledge of the Areas I felt were Assets in the Details (?) of how the City was able to Produce Good Quality Videos as Such. We can disagree on this and that is OK but I did Buy into the Videos that Shane Keating did on the Green Line. My Experience with the Alderman/Women Tells Me He is Honest/Sincere about the Green Line. I can Only assume He must B very Disappointed with the outcome of events. Can't Fault Him either really. Tough Call, but in My own way I DO hold the Mayor and Various other Alderman at Fault as I feel they were NOT as Honest as they should have been.

Tnx,
Operater,

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-18_11-10-7.png
    upload_2017-5-18_11-10-7.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 182
People might not agree with me on this, but I'm okay, and maybe even happy with the shortening. I've always wanted to see the LRT as a more of an urban transportation system and less of a suburban commuter train. My only wish would be to push the line at least one or maybe two stops further north, as you could easily increase development along Centre street, and the cost would be fairly insignificant I would think.

Eventually the line would be phased in anyway, but having it shorter allows developers and the city an opportunity to better, serve, grow and leverage inner city densities.
My concern is it doesn't really serve any sort of substantial population centre as it is, so who will be riding it? And, it is not like there has been a lack of available TOD land for developers to leverage in this city. We can't even get one entire station ARP completed, I don't see how bringing on multiple other ones will do anything other than dilute further an already saturated market.

Sorry, not meant to be really negative, but I fear as presented, this will become a major election issue and may ultimate lead to the whole thing being sent back to the drawing board, especially when the financing costs are factored in.

I like the idea of the train line being less of a commuter line and more inner city transportation, but as MichaelS alluded to, the population isn't there yet. For the time being you could accomplish the same thing with busses. You could have a frequent running bus that starts at 32 and ave N and runs to and fro downtown. You col even build up your TODs around buses for now, and put the train in later.

I don't live in the southeastern suburbs, but it seems to me it would make the most sense to run it out there as a full line to start.

8 bus bays at Douglas Glen, 14 at Shepard. Next one with more than 2 is the Hospital with 6.
Thanks Darwink!

As mentioned before, my preference would be shorter lines to start with, but I also know that it's not the best bang for the buck. Having it go to a major transit centre in the southeast makes the most sense money-wise.

The first phase is acceptable, but I think it would be perfect if it went up to 40 Avenue N. I feel like putting it to just 16 Ave is sort of useless for the North. I mean, I totally understand completing the most complex part of the project first, but I mean, throw the north a bone. Here's hoping that during construction, the additional 1.5 billion becomes available to do the entire rest of the line immediately after the first stage comes online.

That's a great option. It maintains grade separation throughout the inner city :)

Back