Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Hard to go much faster ...
greenline.jpg

Attachments

• greenline.jpg
    greenline.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 767
Hi Group,
So the Alberta Gvmnt is about Ready to Kick in Their Fair Share of the Money to Pay for the Green Line - Like - $1.5 Billion Worth. That is a Lot Money in My Book. For that kind of Money I would like to See More Bang for Our Bucks. Honestly. With a Depressed Economy and Companies Hungry for Work/Contracts I can't help but feel those Contracts will come in a Lot Lower with Enough Funds to get more Work done. Granted I could B dead wrong here, If so, that is OK. With a Provincial Election 2 Yrs away Running back to the Gvmnt for MORE Money to Cover the Rest and Hopefully Trudope & Co Saying Yes is NOT a Sure Thing Either. What About City Taxpayers. They May NOT B in the Mood to Dish Out for More Money With the Attitudes of a Future Council/Taxpayers Who MAY Harbour Feelings of - Like Hell I'll Pay for It Attitudes. We have a Lot at Stakes so Lets Get it Done RIGHT the First Time Round. Just How I Feel About this Project.
Tnx,
Operater,

Hi Group,
So the Alberta Gvmnt is about Ready to Kick in Their Fair Share of the Money to Pay for the Green Line - Like - $1.5 Billion Worth. That is a Lot Money in My Book. For that kind of Money I would like to See More Bang for Our Bucks. Honestly. With a Depressed Economy and Companies Hungry for Work/Contracts I can't help but feel those Contracts will come in a Lot Lower with Enough Funds to get more Work done. Granted I could B dead wrong here, If so, that is OK. With a Provincial Election 2 Yrs away Running back to the Gvmnt for MORE Money to Cover the Rest and Hopefully Trudope & Co Saying Yes is NOT a Sure Thing Either. What About City Taxpayers. They May NOT B in the Mood to Dish Out for More Money With the Attitudes of a Future Council/Taxpayers Who MAY Harbour Feelings of - Like Hell I'll Pay for It Attitudes. We have a Lot at Stakes so Lets Get it Done RIGHT the First Time Round, Just How I Feel About the Project as I would prefer to See It all Blt at Once,
Tnx,
Operater,

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-announce-funding-for-calgarys-green-line-lrt

Ward 12 Coun. Shane Keating, one of the principal proponents of the line that will eventually stretch from North Pointe to Seton, said Wednesday that an announcement of funds from the province would allow planning to “shift into the next phase.”

Hopefully when they do the planning for the next phase North, they'll do an extensive cost vs benefit comparison for all possible options - just as they had done for the the river crossing and Beltline. I realize that we ended up with the shorter line because of the tunnel under the river, but the option analysis came to realize that that was what was best for the future of the city. Let's hope they realize they should continue the tunnel North past McKnight for the best future of the Centre ST corridor.

So excited for this project to move forward.

Eeeeek! So happy :D Finally fully funded, the largest single piece of transit infrastructure in Alberta history!

I've been away on vacation the last few weeks. I have somewhat mixed feelings about the provincial government funding announcement. I am indeed happy to hear that the Green Line will be progressing, but the financing has me queasy. The province is currently on some pretty weak financial footing and they've decided to throw even more money around with what appears to be little consideration.

I've been away on vacation the last few weeks. I have somewhat mixed feelings about the provincial government funding announcement. I am indeed happy to hear that the Green Line will be progressing, but the financing has me queasy. The province is currently on some pretty weak financial footing and they've decided to throw even more money around with what appears to be little consideration.
The carbon tax money has to go out the door to comply to the province's plan for it (revenue recycling into the economy). Money is fungible (a fancy way to say if you were going to spend money on the same thing with financing from another source anyways, it doesn't matter where the money comes from in the end). Effectively the province raised a dedicated tax to fund this project. Doesn't hurt the budget balance besides by taking up tax room. If it was going to be funded anyways, it helped the financial situation a bit, unless that 'found' money is then being spent on another thing.

Tax or debt. It doesn't really matter in the end. It's still our pockets. Tax has the upside of not requiring a stream of future interest payments, but taxes often have ways of outliving their original purposes. At least the money is going to an tangible infrastructure project rather than some nebulous special program with poorly defined objectives and rife with bureaucratic overhead.

Back