Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Gotta pay if we want services and things.

Capturecc.PNG

Attachments

• Capturecc.PNG
    Capturecc.PNG
    66.5 KB · Views: 515
Gotta pay if we want services and things.

View attachment 114645

No argument, but we've gotta gripe about it if we want them held to account. :p The proper response when the government spends your money on something is never "thank you." It's "What took you so long, why isn't it cheaper, why is it so ugly, why is it in Edmonton and do it better next time.":mad:

tldr: re taxes: Canada Sucks, Alberta sucks too, moving our taxation regime in line with other provinces is the opposite of progress.

I'm not sure I like that graph though. The combined corporate income tax rate (federal + provincial) is 50%. Four other provinces have a marginally lower tax rate between 49% and 50%. Until the recent tax hikes, we were number 1 at 48%. When it comes to taxes Canada sucks and being middle of the pack is the opposite on an achievement. For perspective, the highest combined federal + state tax rate in the US is 47% in Iowa. In the 47 states (including DC) that have comparable tax systems (Texas, Washington, Ohio and Nevada levy a Gross Receipts Tax rather than an Income Tax) the best rate is 35% which is the Federal Tax rate. Both Wyoming and South Dakota charge no corporate income tax. Most of the rest are clustered in the low 40% range.

When it comes to sales tax we're better, but not the best. Our 5% GST rate is good enough for a 4 way tie for 7th best with the territories which also charge no territory level sales taxes. Four states charge no sales tax (Oregon, Montana, Delaware & New Hampshire), Texas an Hawaii also have lower rates.

Most US states also have not implemented carbon pricing and Alberta's carbon tax is more punitive from what I've read and more wide reaching because of the nature of our economy.

Last edited:
You're using the personal tax rates there for Canada.
fp0202_golombek1.png

Which might be important brain drain wise - but unless we lay off tonnes of the public sector with transferable skills (nurses, doctors) shouldn't be a big issue.

Corporate tax rates will only be an issue if the USA even enacts some weird tax reform, which seems unlikely.

Anyways, we are off on a tangent.

Oh, a Part I tax is sort of like a unified personal/corporate rate for flow through/personal corporations IIRC. The rate most corporations pay is 15%, which you add the provincial amount to.

The page itself says: "After the general tax reduction, the net tax rate is 15%."

Wow this stuff makes no sense. You win. I figured those deductions were more for special purpose. So, there's a 10% tax abatement on revenue earned within a province or territory. Income earned outside of Canada is ineligible. Then there's the 13% General Tax Reduction on "Qualifying Income." And then it says anything subject to a rate of 38% qualifies unless there's certain other deductions applicable. The wording of that makes it sounds like both the 10% and 13% shouldn't both be applicable, then it goes to show them both being applied. So, why have the 38% rate at all? Freaking accountants.

I guess it also goes to show why Canadian companies don't branch out of Canada as often since you're going to get taxed at 2.5 times the rate.

Wow this stuff makes no sense. You win. I figured those deductions were more for special purpose. So, there's a 10% tax abatement on revenue earned within a province or territory. Income earned outside of Canada is ineligible. Then there's the 13% General Tax Reduction on "Qualifying Income." And then it says anything subject to a rate of 38% qualifies unless there's certain other deductions applicable. The wording of that makes it sounds like both the 10% and 13% shouldn't both be applicable, then it goes to show them both being applied. So, why have the 38% rate at all? Freaking accountants.

I guess it also goes to show why Canadian companies don't branch out of Canada as often since you're going to get taxed at 2.5 times the rate.
Well, but then you have reciprocal tax treaties - you only get taxed at that rate if you pay no foreign tax! And again, only for the flow through only one taxation type. Even most personal corporations opt to go the lower rate but double taxation route (lower corp tax, then a tax on distributions to individuals as dividends)

It gets complicated for sure!

So Greenline .....

I know it's a lot of money, but I think it's something worthwhile. I saw an article on Twitter that showed Richmond Virginia wanting to build an 80Mile BRT system when their bus system only supports 28K riders per day.
https://ggwash.org/view/63341/richmond-wants-an-80-mile-brt-network.-heres-where-it-would-go
Calgary's transit system does over 500k riders per day. Both cities are about the same population metro wise.

I think Calgary is getting reasonable value overall in this infrastructure build.

It's so funny how so many people were like "but what about going under the Bow River?!?! It's gonna be such a challenge!!!" Lmao! Cities around the world have done much more than that, and have been doing so for a long time! Vancouver's Canada Line alone literally goes under a small channel of the Pacific Ocean (False Creek), while the New York Subway and DC Metro both go under huge rivers, and DC is completely built on an alluvial plain, basically a marsh.

I'm wondering though, why were people so concerned about something that is actually so relatively simple in terms of such massive projects like this?

Precisely man. It's not a monumental challenge. It's merely the first time this has been done in Alberta. Alberta is just a small part of a very big civilization that we're part of.

Jansen: Calgary's new Green Line LRT project is going to transform the city
November 3, 2017

Key highlights of article:

"Shovels are already in the ground on Stage 1 of Calgary’s Green Line LRT, which is expected to create 20,000 jobs, including 12,000 direct jobs."

"The City of Calgary estimates that when Stage 1 is completed in 2026, the Green Line will reduce C02 emissions by 30,000 tonnes, every year – the equivalent of 6,000 vehicles."

"But make no mistake, not everyone thinks we should invest in our future and build public infrastructure. Our critics have announced their plans for reckless cuts, totalling billions – cuts that could stop the Green Line in its tracks.

That would mean fewer jobs today and more congested traffic tomorrow.

We will resist those calls. Rather than cut badly needed construction projects and put even more people out of work, we chose to lead the economic recovery.

And it’s paying off. This month the Conference Board of Canada confirmed Calgary has the fastest growing economy in the country. We are investing in the things that make life better for people: much-needed schools for our children, the southwest ring road, the new Calgary cancer centre and better public transportation, like the Green Line.

These careful investments are fiscally responsible, and they are incredibly important, especially right now. Our economy is turning a corner. We need to keep the recovery going.

Since last year’s Stampede, our economy has added 49,000 jobs. That good news will be even better when out-of-work Albertans have a paycheque in the bank, which is why we need to continue to invest and create jobs, not cancel construction projects and make extreme cuts."

Full article here: http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...ne-lrt-project-is-going-to-transform-the-city

That's great news on many fronts. Fastest growing economy and also Green Line u/c. Does anyone know what's actually u/c for the Green line or where they've started?

Hi Group,

I have to admit I like to Know where all these Job (?) figures come from. The Figures seem to B very high really.

Tnx,
Operater.

Back