Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Hi Group,

Didn't realize that the Green Line Topic was on Skyrise Cities. Found It by chance. I have been following this Topic Plus the Crowchild Tr. Project on a City Web Site. Guess it now gives Me Two Sites to visit. My Interests are Tnsptn and Real Estate but have been doing Cities on Skyrise. As a rule. Its mostly Calgary and Toronto. I will B most interested to see how this all pans out.

Tnx,
Operater.

Hi Group,

I was on a C Train and Got off at the Chinook Station on My way home. There is a Large TV Screen etc. Saw that there was a Topic I believe had to Do with what I Believe is Funding for the "Green Line" by Joe Cecie the Finance Minister in the AB Govmnt. The Mayor was on Next with some Comments. I Missed Parts of It so didn't get the Whole Story. I Could B Wrong and if So that' s OK. Question? Has the
AB Govmnt agreed to Finance a Portion of Green Line? Haven't seen anything on the News - Yet or on a City Web Sites as of Yet. Still
Looking for now. Anyone know Anything or was I looking at an Old Video?

Tnx,
Operater.

That's right, no official agreement, but I'm confident there will be funding, it's a matter of how much an over what period of time.
I believe they are talking about using the carbon tax for this correct?

Hi Group,
Hey Cowtown! I am Not Sure Either, Myself. I only got the tale end of the Topic on the TV Screen so Its a good chance I missed Key Information. Hey It Happens. The Idea of Using the so Called "Carbon Tax" aka Rip Off Tax to Finance LRT Sounds like a Good Deal. Yes it would B interesting to see what happens.,

Tnx,
Operater.

Some updated options the city is considering for the Beltline portion

Green Line LRT evaluates two additional alignment options for Beltline segment

http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2017/04/green-line-lrt-evaluates-two-additional.html?m=1

• Transition to 10 Avenue S Option: this would see the line jog north from the Centre Street station on 12 Avenue S to 10 Avenue S, where it would run parallel to the south side of the CP tracks until it reaches the Inglewood/Ramsay station
Transition to 10 Ave Option.jpg

• Staged Option: this would allow the Green Line to skirt the Transit Centre until the Centre is re-located, at which time the Green Line tracks would be re-aligned and a station would be built on the former Transit Centre lands
Staged Option Maps.jpg

Attachments

• Transition to 10 Ave Option.jpg
    Transition to 10 Ave Option.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 696
  • Staged Option Maps.jpg
    Staged Option Maps.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 593
Hi Group,

So Which Option Would I Take? Try the Option in the Bigger Map of Sorts. Looks like the Most "Cost Effective Option" in the long term
of Routes. Its My Honest View that a Route on 12th Ave S,E. Right out to the end of 12th Ave and into Ramsey Areas would B a lot Easier but I doubt the Politicos/Planners have what it Takes to Better Plan Routes and perhaps look at Cost Savings.? Also I Question the so
Called Relocation of the VPTC/Garage. $300 Million is LOT of Money in My Book. Also Have been to the 2nd Floor of the VPTC and sure there are some small offices etc, UNLESS its Moved to the North East Location {Not Sure} the South end of the 2nd Floor Houses the ENTIRE Calgary Transit CTC Track on the Big Board for BOTH the Red & Blue Lines. That Also, Includes Track/Switches on 7th Ave. All the Video Cameras etc, All the
Switches Both Manual/Interlocking and Signals ABS/Interlocking, are Housed on the 2nd Floor. Learning Rail/Rail Transit Dispatching in My 20s HAS its Advantages. To Relocate that Operation Would B Costly.When I Visit the Calgary Transit Booth at the Model Train Show in the North East Sportsplex this Wkd, I will B asking if the Rail Transit Dispatching is Still at VPTC. Time to Get an Update. Owe it to Myself.
Also as a Matter of Operations, the 2200, 2300 and 2400 Series Cars CAN NOT B COMBINED with Other Cars as the
Technology in Each Series is Totally Different - Not Compatable. All A C Operations but Different. The Only Two Cars, No 2100, 2101 Can B Operated With the 2200s They are A C Acquired from Edmonton Years Back.
Hopes This Helps.

Tnx,
Operater.

Thanks for posing all the picks AJX. This is all a bit pedantic to me. I don't live in the area so I don't really have any skin in the game. All I cared was that the line be tunneled at least past Macleod and it seems that I have my wish.

Operater, your typing is a bit dense for me to read very legibly (sorry :oops:), but I think you raise a decent point about cost effectiveness. So I think I'll shrug and say, "whichever is cheaper and gets holes dug sooner."

All I cared was that the line be tunneled at least past Macleod and it seems that I have my wish.

Agree here. Make it work, balance price with quality, decide the route, approve everything to go to a design estimate, hopefully before city council hits the red line of the election.

Hi Group,

OK, I had a Chance to visit the Calgary Transit Booth at the Model Train Show. Picked Up some Interesting Information. YES the Dispatching Operations Centre is MOVING. Not to where I figured - North East Location. TRY the Westbrook Mall Location. No Bull! OK Calgary Transit OWNS the Land Rights on Top of the Westbrook
Station. To B expected. Why There? OK VPTC is ON a Flood Plain. It was also Impacted by the Floods of 2013. Woops shit happens. Its now to small as well. The Garage stays there for now. The Operations Centre will B in a New Larger Centre to include Expansion South to Silverado and a possible further South Location. Also plans are for Two North East Stations to B Blt at some future time. West Expansion? Not at this time but a Provision is there for 85th St and a possible 100 St. Terminal at some future time. The CTC "Big Board", the Security Cameras, ABS/Interlocking Signals, Manual/Interlocking Switches Will All B Operated out of Westbrook come Fall -
September if I am Correct. Location now U C. The "Operations Centre" is NOW say "Off Limits" to Everyone except if your There for "Business Only" and even then You
have to have Permission. Security will B Tight. With Radical Islamic Terrorism Its Easy to see Why. Something One of Those at the Booth Quietly Said to Me because No One was There to Hear Any Remarks. Will try to get more Updates later.

Tnx,
Operater.

I'd heard that they Westbrook location was being looked at for dispatch. My fiancee worked at transit many moons ago and she'd heard about the potential move, but apparently the whole thing was scrubbed at one point for budget reasons. I guess it's back in the works.

Yeah, was originally supposed to switchover to Westbrook concurrently with the building being completed, but the city deferred due to cash flow issues.

That building had sat largely empty for some time, but the last time I was by there, which was admittedly a few months ago now it looked like they'd started to make use of the space.

Back