News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Alberta Provincial Politics

If an election was held today, who would you vote for?

• UCP

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • NDP

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • Liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alberta Party

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
The question is why. Just a reflexive response to the way the NDP talks sometimes turns people off bigtime I think.
Because I don’t think there’s a place for people to put their vote who disagree with the ideological fringes of the NDP or UPC, and because it would be good to have a third party hold the balance of power in a minority government in the province every once in a while.

That pretty much sums it up.

I'm generally a centrist / disillusioned liberal whose feeling pretty out of options politically. On many issues I'd lean left, but watching some of the insanity on the left these days makes it harder and harder to stomach voting that way. That being said, while I often find myself agreeing with some more right leaning sensibilities I'm generally not in favor of some major policy issues that conservatives tend to hold dear.

My hope for the Alberta Party would be a party that's reasonably centrist/pragmatic in their policies while avoiding the ideological battles afoot on both the right and left. But maybe that's too much to ask for in our current cultural climate.

🤢🤢🤮

Worst possible outcome. Though it was an obvious conclusion. Someone with real vision for the province (Brian Jean) should have been chosen, but whatever. Dickshits will be dickshits. At least we’re a shoe-in for this May, thank god.

How much damage is she going to do in the meantime? Firing the leadership of AHS because she's made about vaccines will get very, very messy and definitely won't help ER wait times.
I'm hopeful not much. It takes some time to settle into the office, and as the leadership election showed, the UCP is anything but united - a good chunk (i.e. the PC side) still supported Toews; it's just that the wildrose side is slightly bigger. I'm hopeful that she's not going to be able to have a lot of support in the party to get things done

Hopefully she’ll pivot to the centre having won the leadership. I also hope she has learned from the many mistakes made thus far in her political career. Alberta will now have more female premiers than any other province.

Hopefully she’ll pivot to the centre having won the leadership. I also hope she has learned from the many mistakes made thus far in her political career. Alberta will now have more female premiers than any other province.
The problem is that if she pivots to the centre, she'll run into the same problem as Kenney: a revolt on her right. The problem with the UCP is structural, not strategic. The base that determines the leadership is completely out of step with the electorate as a whole. You see this at the federal level where only about 20% of Canadians, but 60% of CPC voters, think that climate change is a hoax. The only way to win is to find a few issues that are common to the base and the electorate. For Kenney that was "jobs, economy, pipelines". Poilievre is trying to make cost of living his issue. Vaccines and separatism is completely the OPPOSITE of what you need to win, but now her base is going to expect her to deliver on those promises.

The problem is that if she pivots to the centre, she'll run into the same problem as Kenney: a revolt on her right. The problem with the UCP is structural, not strategic. The base that determines the leadership is completely out of step with the electorate as a whole. You see this at the federal level where only about 20% of Canadians, but 60% of CPC voters, think that climate change is a hoax. The only way to win is to find a few issues that are common to the base and the electorate. For Kenney that was "jobs, economy, pipelines". Poilievre is trying to make cost of living his issue. Vaccines and separatism is completely the OPPOSITE of what you need to win, but now her base is going to expect her to deliver on those promises.
That's exactly the case. The base is equally split into two groups that disagree on many things, and Smith is exposing those disagreements even more. As I said in a different thread, the best thing for the NDP is to let Smith keep talking. By bringing up the whole vaccine thing, she's reminding middle of the road voters of why not to vote for her.

Back