News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I'm not sold on the colors. IMO this would be better white with black accents.

Image17ss.jpg

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not. It's a proposal just south of Chinook at this location.

View attachment 225008

View attachment 225007

View attachment 225009

Totally agree. I hold the opinion that Calgary is always under pressure to revert to the "Canadian big city mean" whenever we remove the excessive fire hose of oil money from the equation such as the current transition period we are in. I expect:
  • More rentals & less home-ownership: we have a while to go to catch up on this one. Decades of high incomes relative to home costs has given us the most out of whack ratio of rental/owner in the country.
  • Moderate but still positive population growth
  • Densification pressures continue as the city get's larger and larger and commutes continue to climb with ongoing sprawl growth as well.
  • Increased localization of housing/rental markets as areas become self-sustaining (e.g. U of C area, Marda Loop etc.) or more independent from the previous boom-town "tide-rises-all-boats" housing market. With less macro-pressures, the popularity of different areas will wax and wane more distinctly on local factors.
All that is to say, I expect a lot more rentals and a more diverse and interesting city in the future :)
Rental projects either under construction or very close to being .... just for downtown/ Beltline:

Park Central - 462 units - 2020 completion
One Tower- 390 units - 2020 completion
The Hat @ East Village - 221 units - 2019-20 completion
The Hat @ 7th Ave - 66 units - 2020 completion
The Hat @ West Village - 512 units - 2021-22 completion (likely)
Curtis Block - 647 units - 2021 completion
Place 10/Residences on 10th - 900 units - 2021-22 completion
11 & 11th SW - 369 units - 2021 completion
Redstone - 137 units - 2020-21 completion
HomeSpace 5th Ave - 58 units - 2020 completion
Arris Ph. 1 - 190 units - 2021 completion
Barron Building - 103 units - 2021 completion

That is over 4000 more residences in the next 2 years. There are at least a dozen more projects announced or planned and the list does not include Inglewood, Bridgeland, Hillhurst Sunnyside or Mission. That is a big bet on the rental market in the core.

I wonder what the next rental project for DT-Beltline will be? These are the ones I know of that have submitted DP's.

Yellowstone
Plaza 54
The Hat @ Elbow

No DP's yet but Bentall Kennedy has rental buildings planned for that entire block on 13 Ave between Centre St and 1 St SE including the Bernard Callebault site. Also, GableCraft was talking one rental and one condo across the street from this, on the north side of 13 Ave.

GWL was going to do that entire block along 2 Ave SW in Eau Claire with 1100 rental residences. Now I think it will be QuadReal who will eventually develop it.

With all of the other rental construction going on all over the city, I wonder what is taking BK and QuadReal so long to get started.

No DP's yet but Bentall Kennedy has rental buildings planned for that entire block on 13 Ave between Centre St and 1 St SE including the Bernard Callebault site. Also, GableCraft was talking one rental and one condo across the street from this, on the north side of 13 Ave.

GWL was going to do that entire block along 2 Ave SW in Eau Claire with 1100 rental residences. Now I think it will be QuadReal who will eventually develop it.

With all of the other rental construction going on all over the city, I wonder what is taking BK and QuadReal so long to get started.
I forgot about that project (Portfolio). They actually submitted a DP, but it was a while ago, (I think 2016) I'm guessing it's probably expired by now.

Here's a link to the GWL thread. Not much to report yet, but they submitted a DP and I went to take a look at it.

Back