News   Apr 02, 2020
 2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 773     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
Turning Mewata into a market would also be cool.
That is the absolute best use of that building. Adding a mezzanine would provide all kinds of space. The land around the building could also be further developed with ideas to enhance the landmark as a 'destination'.
Now if we could only convince the federal government to sell. Unfortunately, I think the military still gets a lot of use out of it, particularly in winter months.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Military won't sell it any time soon, there are 2 reserve regiments based out of there currently.

For those who have never been inside Mewata, it's basically a giant empty space (used for parades and ceremonies) with 2 storeys of offices around the perimeter. It's pretty much perfect for a market as it, adding anything in the drill hall would require a lot of work.

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
Oh my god I think I know exactly where that is! Thats just across 16th from valley ridge, it looks like it will be right in between Crestmont and the Calgary Climbing Center
That's the spot. Likely waiting for the west ring road (and upgrade to the Crestmont/Valley Ridge interchange) to be completed to get better access before proceeding.

Joborule

Member Bio
Reaction score

Mull

Member Bio
Reaction score
So Labatt bought Banded Peak. Banded Peak has a pretty small footprint in an area with lots of breweries. I can't help but hope that Labatt wants to invest in the area, I can't seem them caring about the income they get from the volume of one little brewery. If the move it, well, then why invest at all in that brewery, location matters to these niche places.

Its a really small brewery to scale up quickly and have a large distribution associated with it.
Not sure what they are doing in the rest of Canada, NA or the world, but they picked it for a reason.

Edit, they are larger than I thought, they have quite a strong AB distribution network

Last edited:

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wow! Well-designed affordable housing.... in Calgary?!?! Frig, the devil must be lacing up his skates about now! ?

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score