News   Apr 02, 2020
 2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 773     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

haltcatchfire

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'll be curious to see how this plays out. I'd think Rosetti has a leg up and an edge with the work on the inverted bowl. Will they give everyone a fair shot?

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ are these usually fixed fee, or based on a % of total facility cost in people's memories/impressions?

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'll be curious to see how this plays out. I'd think Rosetti has a leg up and an edge with the work on the inverted bowl. Will they give everyone a fair shot?
Have they actually built any arenas with the Inverted Bowl design? It's a great concept, but I would expect CMLC and CSEC to go for a more tried and true model. I'm guessing this is HOK's or Populous' to lose based on the amount of experience they have.

haltcatchfire

Member Bio
Reaction score
Have they actually built any arenas with the Inverted Bowl design? It's a great concept, but I would expect CMLC and CSEC to go for a more tried and true model. I'm guessing this is HOK's or Populous' to lose based on the amount of experience they have.
I don't believe the Rosetti Inverted Bowl concept has been built as of yet, and I'm not sure they can claim some type of intellectual rights over another firm attempting to do something similar. I hope you're right that they just choose to go with one of the most experienced teams. If they choose HOK, there better be language in the contract that limits involvement of the staff that was part of Edmonton's Rogers Place design.

Silence&Motion

Member Bio
Reaction score
Contemporary Calgary's new digs now open.

Is there a thread for Contemporary Calgary yet? This project is potential a game-changer for west downtown and doesn't get very much attention. It has so much going for it: unique architecture, an LRT station, potential to connect to the Millennium Park and the Bow River Pathway, lots of available land for future expansion. I could even imagine it one day taking over the Armoury next door. It could also potentially spur a higher level of architecture developed on the empty lots and low-rise buildings that line the east side of 11 street. Maybe there's even an opportunity to tie in the relocation of AUArts.

There are also some significant challenges: namely the impenetrability of the LRT line to the south and Bow Trail to the north.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
I really hope the Feds sell Mewata and it becomes a museum of some sort (Natural History would be nice) and anchors a cultural district on the West End along with the new Art Gallery.