News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Contemporary Calgary's new digs now open.

Is there a thread for Contemporary Calgary yet? This project is potential a game-changer for west downtown and doesn't get very much attention. It has so much going for it: unique architecture, an LRT station, potential to connect to the Millennium Park and the Bow River Pathway, lots of available land for future expansion. I could even imagine it one day taking over the Armoury next door. It could also potentially spur a higher level of architecture developed on the empty lots and low-rise buildings that line the east side of 11 street. Maybe there's even an opportunity to tie in the relocation of AUArts.

There are also some significant challenges: namely the impenetrability of the LRT line to the south and Bow Trail to the north.

I really hope the Feds sell Mewata and it becomes a museum of some sort (Natural History would be nice) and anchors a cultural district on the West End along with the new Art Gallery.

Anyone familiar with this mixed use project planned by Vancouver based developer, Shape Properties for west Calgary?

Oh my god I think I know exactly where that is! Thats just across 16th from valley ridge, it looks like it will be right in between Crestmont and the Calgary Climbing Center

Turning Mewata into a market would also be cool.
That is the absolute best use of that building. Adding a mezzanine would provide all kinds of space. The land around the building could also be further developed with ideas to enhance the landmark as a 'destination'.
Now if we could only convince the federal government to sell. Unfortunately, I think the military still gets a lot of use out of it, particularly in winter months.

The Military won't sell it any time soon, there are 2 reserve regiments based out of there currently.

For those who have never been inside Mewata, it's basically a giant empty space (used for parades and ceremonies) with 2 storeys of offices around the perimeter. It's pretty much perfect for a market as it, adding anything in the drill hall would require a lot of work.

Oh my god I think I know exactly where that is! Thats just across 16th from valley ridge, it looks like it will be right in between Crestmont and the Calgary Climbing Center
That's the spot. Likely waiting for the west ring road (and upgrade to the Crestmont/Valley Ridge interchange) to be completed to get better access before proceeding.

That's the spot. Likely waiting for the west ring road (and upgrade to the Crestmont/Valley Ridge interchange) to be completed to get better access before proceeding.
Same developer for Deerfoot City, so I imagine that's been occupying them for the meantime.

UCalgary going to have a Open House for Haskayne expansion: Mathison Hall

Mathison%20Hall%20exterior.jpg

So Labatt bought Banded Peak. Banded Peak has a pretty small footprint in an area with lots of breweries. I can't help but hope that Labatt wants to invest in the area, I can't seem them caring about the income they get from the volume of one little brewery. If the move it, well, then why invest at all in that brewery, location matters to these niche places.

Its a really small brewery to scale up quickly and have a large distribution associated with it.
Not sure what they are doing in the rest of Canada, NA or the world, but they picked it for a reason.

Edit, they are larger than I thought, they have quite a strong AB distribution network

Last edited:

Back