News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

A DP application was filed last week for an 81 unit MF project in Bankview (1448 19th Ave SW). Anyone know about this?
That's the project that was going to be RNDSQR's Village, but is now a different developer. Can't remember who the new developer is, but the new design was done by FAAS.

Last edited:
Some interesting data from the CMHC who recently released their 2019 Fall Rental report. Link to report, the data tables are also available on their site. Key takeaways:
  • Vacancy in rentals remain unchanged at 3.9%, with 1,122 total units added to the supply, suggesting demand and supply growth are both strong
  • Modest rent price increases
  • Beltline vacancy dropped from 3.9% to 3.2%, now below the city average

A DP application was filed last week for an 81 unit MF project in Bankview (1448 19th Ave SW). Anyone know about this?
I was able to confirm that it is Eaglecrest. That makes several projects they have planned in established neighbourhoods. They have come from nowhere.

p.s The Nimmons site is a different project. Brava Developments were last attached to it.

Some interesting data from the CMHC who recently released their 2019 Fall Rental report. Link to report, the data tables are also available on their site. Key takeaways:
  • Vacancy in rentals remain unchanged at 3.9%, with 1,122 total units added to the supply, suggesting demand and supply growth are both strong
  • Modest rent price increases
  • Beltline vacancy dropped from 3.9% to 3.2%, now below the city average
I feel like more rental project are going to be coming down the pipe.

I feel like more rental project are going to be coming down the pipe.

Totally agree. I hold the opinion that Calgary is always under pressure to revert to the "Canadian big city mean" whenever we remove the excessive fire hose of oil money from the equation such as the current transition period we are in. I expect:
  • More rentals & less home-ownership: we have a while to go to catch up on this one. Decades of high incomes relative to home costs has given us the most out of whack ratio of rental/owner in the country.
  • Moderate but still positive population growth
  • Densification pressures continue as the city get's larger and larger and commutes continue to climb with ongoing sprawl growth as well.
  • Increased localization of housing/rental markets as areas become self-sustaining (e.g. U of C area, Marda Loop etc.) or more independent from the previous boom-town "tide-rises-all-boats" housing market. With less macro-pressures, the popularity of different areas will wax and wane more distinctly on local factors.
All that is to say, I expect a lot more rentals and a more diverse and interesting city in the future :)

Last edited:
Love looking a the pics of downtown/Beltline from above. Core looks great, but it would be nice to see a bit more development around the core.

EOhn1QPU8AEtO5E.jpg
EOhn1xaUUAAPmm5.jpg

From @BrandiHoward__ Twitter

Back