News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Proposed development map for the Stampede grounds to be completed over the next four years

1578940779460.png

Interesting examples. Where is the Calgary cabin located out of curiosity? Also I had no idea of the African Canadian history in Drumheller and I was born there!

Right beside the Deane house

Although it's not on the current streetview there is also another cabin beside it. The 2nd cabin was a metis cabin that was moved to the inglewood brewery site in the 1930s and was only just recently returned to its original location. Also it's probably worth noting that the Deane house was originally on the other side of the Elbow, so when the two cabins were built they were mostly on their own, situated to be right across the river from the fort.

A video on the Metis cabin

Here's an article on the Gospel Hall

Last edited:
Proposed development map for the Stampede grounds to be completed over the next four years

View attachment 225278
Please include a new and larger Coke Stage, the existing one is far too small for the acts they draw. I remember seeing Live there about 20 years ago, people were climbing trees and getting on top of roofs just to be able to see the stage.

Nice to see a bit more refinement, is this from a public document / page somewhere with any details?

It was a notice distributed to staff, was short on details other than the map. But it did mention that the Stampede is in talks with a developer regarding the hotel site. From what I have heard the plan is to have the hotel open at the same time as the BMO centre expansion. Construction of the SAM centre will also begin this fall once Stampede has concluded.

Please include a new and larger Coke Stage, the existing one is far too small for the acts they draw. I remember seeing Live there about 20 years ago, people were climbing trees and getting on top of roofs just to be able to see the stage.

Not sure where it will be moved but the existing coke stage will be demolished to make way for the 17th Ave extension into the park

Their long term plans from 10-15 years ago had an amphitheater type venue on the north end of the expanded park, hope that's still the plan.

They opened an ampitheater in the youth campus a couple years ago but I've only seen that get used for rehearsals. Haven't heard of another one getting built.

LOC going to council Monday to upzone 24 Ramsay properties

View attachment 224837

Administration is recommending refusal

Administration recommends refusal of the proposed land use redesignation and the associated amendment to the existing Ramsay Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP). The proposal does not conform to the existing ARP and is not in keeping with heritage policies of the Municipal Development Plan (MDP) which directs The City to identify and help protect Calgary’s historic resources. It is Administration’s position that the proposal may incentivize the destruction of a high concentration of properties that contribute to the heritage character of Ramsay without any mechanism to offset the loss.

This has started off with the first speakers saying they have put up the money and they are estranged with the applicant and that Council has been lied to, that they didn't want this to go forward because they didn't even know until recently that they could speak to council.

Ok I get it one of the owners is speaking, apparently he paid for the consultant who is technically the applicant, but is now estranged from that consultant. He is not happy with the current state of the application even though he put up the $15k fee to get it to this confused state and he is upset at the possibility of having to re-apply and he has apparently been kept in the dark about how the process works.

Their concern is that they have to pay a bonusing fee to the community to to get the upzone as the fee is a financial burden. As far as I could understand anyway.

Last edited:

I'd also love to see one that is a bit of a 'bowl' so that people at the back can see, if that's feasible.

I'd also love to see one that is a bit of a 'bowl' so that people at the back can see, if that's feasible.

I wonder if they could do something like that over on the south side of the site where they used to have the First Nations village, there is a sloped/bowl area leading to a covered bandstand. The area would need a fair bit of redevelopment to really open it up and it is a bit secluded since it is on the other side of the elbow.

Anyone heard of this proposal before? It would be a massive improvement over the current 2 acre wasteland. Site just south of Glenmore across the street from Avi's head office.

rgTF10672566.png

This is the current site:

18813934_1490121004373942_5242052008908874489_n-500x190.jpg

More about it here: https://www.chabadalberta.org/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/3533855/jewish/The-Vision.htm

It seems like a vision without a concrete proposal but it's encouraging to see a desire for increased density in such a prime location. I predict the final product will be decidedly more conservative.

Last edited:

Back