News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.3K     0 

Weather and Gardening Discussion

The growing season is noticeably longer for sure, wonder if it means we will be able to grow more varieties of trees here. One factor that may work against that is stronger Chinooks in the winter, a week or two of warm temps can wake some trees up, then the next cold snap kills them .

Interesting. I have noticed the length of the growing season, nice to know it's not just my imagination. I've had a backyard garden for 24 straight years, and for the first dozen years there was a heavy September frost in probably 10 of the 12 years, and in the past 12 years it's been roughly the opposite. In the summer of 2022, the frost didn't hit the garden until mid October. Part of it is where the garden is located (near a retaining wall), and maybe there is some heat island effect.

Either way though, the growing season all around the city has been noticeably longer. A few other noticeable things. A couple of people in the neighborhood, have planted apple trees that are producing full sized apples, and some others have planted grape vines, and are getting grapes.
Biggest difference I've noticed is more moisture, be it more large rain and snow storms, higher humidity and greener grass

The growing season is noticeably longer for sure, wonder if it means we will be able to grow more varieties of trees here. One factor that may work against that is stronger Chinooks in the winter, a week or two of warm temps can wake some trees up, then the next cold snap kills them .
I think Chinooks are more a problem in early spring. I'm pretty sure dormancy is regulated by sunlight so they wouldn't wake up during December-february. But a week of 20 degree days above zero in late March followed by -10 days is havock

Back