News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.3K     0 

Weather and Gardening Discussion

A huge difference in Calgary is the level of consistency (or lack thereof). Ottawa and Montreal have such predictable weather in comparision. Wither has a "start date" there of almost exactly mid November and ends exactly Mid-April. It will snow at least 1 to 3 days a week for that entire period and have 5 to 7 days of overcast per week.

As mentioned, Calgary's winters are warmer, colder, drier and sunnier - but mostly just way more variable year to year and week to week. Can it snow in September? Can we make it to January without snow? Can it be -30 or +15 at any time during November to March? Yes to all.

Ottawa, Montreal (and pretty much all cities not adjacent to mountain ranges) are just way more consistent. Whether that's good, bad or something in-between is really just personal preference. Having lived in both Ottawa and Montreal, I like our winters better - the lack of slush and freezing rain is a critical upgrade.

I've never lived in Ottawa, but have spent a lot of time here over all seasons. My take, and it's only personal observations, is I prefer Calgary in the winter (more sun, and warmer days) and summer (not as humid and cooler nights), Spring is kind of even, though Ottawa's spring weather is more stable. Even though this week was chilly and damp, I give a decisive edge to Ottawa's fall, as it last longer and is prettier.

Back