News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Weather and Gardening Discussion

After melting all day, the pavement is now turning white as I type this at 4:30. Looks like I will be shoveling in the morning.

sounds like 10-15cm across the city so far, with about half that in accumulation. Maybe another 5cm today too. Have to say, the city seems organized with plowing roads and pathways so far today. The first snowfall of the year is usually a bit of a shit show!

sounds like 10-15cm across the city so far, with about half that in accumulation. Maybe another 5cm today too. Have to say, the city seems organized with plowing roads and pathways so far today. The first snowfall of the year is usually a bit of a shit show!
I didn't see as much traffic as normal out there this morning when I dropped my son at school. I wonder how many hybrid workers decided to stay home today? My work for example asks people to come X amount of days per month, and employees can choose which days. I heard there is literally not one single person in the office today.

Looking for some insight from you folks. The community developer offered to install a tree in our front yard. After numerous delays, it was planted a week ago after the snow dump in what I assume is a state of hibernation. From googling it seems like this is a terrible time to plant a tree but regardless am trying to determine if I should still be watering it on a regular basis or if not, when would be the best time to start next spring. My googling didn't lead me to any useful information in this regard and there was no information provided by the developer or the company that planted the tree.

Watering it regularly can’t hurt it, even in hibernation. The more ground moisture when things thaw out, the better. Once you stop (probably when we hit the deep freeze in Mid-December), all that moisture will be locked in, and then you can restart towards the end of March. Boom, hopefully a healthy tree.

Last edited:
17 degrees in December? Jesus. I shoulda waited to go to Mexico til February. Will still be nice though.

I think today was the warmest day of any winter month in my 12 years here. Certainly warmest December day.

Edit: February 2016 came close with one day at 16.9 and another at 16.4. I remember that year, no daily highs below freezing after February 1 until fall.

Edit edit: Dingdingding! And the winner is January 2015 at 17.2° 🥳

Last edited:
Yeah exactly. My summer side gig is doing bus tours of the city as a step on guide. A question I get asked every time is what the winters are like here, and so I say of course that they’re variable and bring up the example of February 2016, where on the 16th of that month I had my first backyard bonfire party of the season and my Day Lillies were already a good 6 - 8 inches out of the ground.

Might be looking at the same thing this year.

17 degrees in December? Jesus. I shoulda waited to go to Mexico til February. Will still be nice though.

I think today was the warmest day of any winter month in my 12 years here. Certainly warmest December day.

Edit: February 2016 came close with one day at 16.9 and another at 16.4. I remember that year, no daily highs below freezing after February 1 until fall.

Edit edit: Dingdingding! And the winner is January 2015 at 17.2° 🥳
Here are some that I remember:

We might be able to talk about next Wednesday in this context, if the 7-day forecast holds:
1701977561150.png

I had like 6cm of accumulation at my house, pretty weak for a December snowfall.

I think too many mild winters have made people soft. This is Canada, it snows for half the damn year! lol

I had like 6cm of accumulation at my house, pretty weak for a December snowfall.

I think too many mild winters have made people soft. This is Canada, it snows for half the damn year! lol
It's more useful to organize how people think about weather based on how much they hate bicycle infrastructure. If we are having a period of particularly anti-bike public rhetoric the winters get longer all of a sudden.

"Why build this stuff? No OnE RiDeS iN WiNtEr!! It's winter 9 months a year! Silly hall!"

Whenever people move on from a triggering issue and they forget once more that they even have feelings about bicycle lanes, the winters are typically pretty warm - and getting warmer - here.

Attachments

• 1702337159767.png
    1702337159767.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 20

Back