News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Weather and Gardening Discussion

With two hours of daytime heating left to go, we have broken the record for July 24. Currently 34.00° at YYC at 4:20 pm. Previous record was 33.90° set in 1890.

On Wunderground, all inner city stations are reading between 35 and 36° 🥵 Even in the shade on my 29th storey balcony it’s almost unbearable. Have had the AC going for 4 days straight. Def one of the hottest days I’ve seen in my 11 years in the city.

With two hours of daytime heating left to go, we have broken the record for July 24. Currently 34.00° at YYC at 4:20 pm. Previous record was 33.90° set in 1890.

On Wunderground, all inner city stations are reading between 35 and 36° 🥵 Even in the shade on my 29th storey balcony it’s almost unbearable. Have had the AC going for 4 days straight. Def one of the hottest days I’ve seen in my 11 years in the city.

It was oppressively hot yesterday. Maybe it's me getting older, but my sweet-spot for weather seems to be around 23-25C with a light breeze. One of the things with Calgary is the sun seems so hot even at lower temps. I was in Ottawa a while back when it was bouncing around the low 30's, and the humidity made it hot in the shade, but you could be out in the sun much easier than in Calgary.

Record-setting summer. Don’t know why they’re doing 2° and not 3° (the numbers are the same)… but yeah, there’s no end in sight to this streak. We may even have a few nights above 10° left. These datasets really show how the story of climate change in Calgary’s case are more about overnight lows.

EACAC554-B619-4DE5-8E49-4DA29A2A34CE.jpeg

98D0D6F3-2D82-4816-B36E-96A4DAB8F3A7.jpeg

Calgary’s growing season (average frost free days) in the past has been listed as 115 days, but it’s been a while since we’ve seen officially as low as 115.
My garden has been seeing ~130 frost free days for about 18 of the past 20 growing seasons, and places, like Mission, Sunalta,, Beltline, etc. are even longer.

Wowzers. Yeah I could easily see us surpassing 150 days above 2° this year. Likely even more, there’s nothing in the next two weeks threatening to go lower than that, so far at least.

The urban heat island effect is more pronouned in Calgary than in other cities. Trees, buildings, pavement and artificial water bodies have terra formed Calgary from a barren, high and dry plain with minimal ability to retain heat. No other Canadian city would have seen such a transformation as no other Canadian city is high and the only other ones built outside natural forest are Regina and Kelowna.

It’s gotten a lot better the past week.

As of today, we’re at 180 days with temps above -1° C. Lowest so far is -0.9° and only twice below freezing since the morning of April 23. Previous record is 176 days in 2020, and we will exceed that by a statistically significant margin of 5 days come tomorrow when the streak ends overnight/morning Monday.

181 days without a hard frost… in Calgary. Just bonkers.

Interesting also that the streak is going by the official temps from the airport. I wonder how areas around the city stil haven’t hit below zero yet?
According to my backyard thermometer near the garden, it still hasn’t been below zero yet. With the lowest temp so far at 1.2C I know it’s not 100% accurate but I know it hasn’t been below zero at the garden as tomatoes are still going as of today. I picked the last if them 👍

I wonder if there is a way to check individual Wundermap stations? Would give a pretty good idea of what area of the city has and hasn’t.

I wonder if there is a way to check individual Wundermap stations? Would give a pretty good idea of what area of the city has and hasn’t.
Great suggestion! I had never looked into it before, but it looks you can go back and look at historical data for individual Wundermap weather stations . 👍

I checked the 4 closest stations to my house and the lowest temp for October ranges from -0.8C to -2.5C. My remote digital thermometer is near the garden, but also near a retaining wall, so I suspect it's only accurate to the temps near the wall. If it was out on the open in the front yard it might be different. Checking some of the other ones around the city, ones on the south side of the Bow seem to have slightly warmer overnight lows, with at least one not experiencing sub zero yet. Too bad there are any stations around the Beltline or Mission. That's where I'd really like to see the differences.

Back